Thread: Hollow Form with Piercing and tip on Photography

Hollow Form with Piercing and tip on Photography

Here's a HF I just finished up and photographed. When I shot the pics, I have been using a photo tent which I like as you don't get those "hot spots" on the object. On this piece I have 8-10 coat of wet sanded spray
    lacquer and has a very high glass like finish. So I ended up shooting under the direct umbrella lights on the first 3 pics and picture 4 is in the tent that made the HF look matte. Thought it would be worth the post to show the difference. I just don't like those spots, so I'm going to be working on that.

Aspen Hollow Form with Walnut collar and pedestal 9 1/2" tall x 7 1/4" wide. Spray Lacquer finish, automotive rubbing compounds, Ren. waxed.

BTW Wally Dickerman, your piercing have inspired me enough to try it myself, so this was my first attempt. Got my feet wet, very fun to do!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, Steve!! Your progress in such a short time has been amazing. Very nice work on this one - good proportions, great contrast and the flow of the piercing and its execution is superb. I may have made the pedestal just a tad shorter, but that is just a personal choice. In fact, I think this form and collar, with the piercing, would be a striking stand alone piece without the pedestal - just have a little revers curve into just enough base/foot to give it a little lift. Just something to think about for the next one.

Again, just great work!

Very nice, Steve. You chose a great person to inspire you. I particularly like the delicate V neck collar you designed. It gives the piece a front and back.
    Here is something you can try with your photography. Try lighting with just one light or even next to a window with indirect sunlight coming in. Use your background. On the opposite side from the light source stand up a piece of white foam board. The surface should be glossy to reflect light. If your camera has "live view" you can actually watch the effect change as you move the whiteboard around. The one light method also works with artificial light if it is softened through fabric. That will eliminate the two hot spots and still show off the gloss.
    faust

Steve, overall a nice piece. The form and the piercing are nice. The turning and proportions of the pedestal are nice. But I am going to side with John on this one. The way I look at pedestals and finials is whether they add anything to the piece. In this case the pedestal does nothing for the form. The form IMHO does not need a pedestal. As you gain experience design becomes easier and it is fun and good to experiment with different things. Keep up the good work.

Alan

I am in awe of your woodworking. I only wish that someday I can turn something like that.
    Photo wise, I would suggest only one light source with a large white card to bounce light into the shadow side. Though the lighting illuminates the entire piece well, there is no form.

Mike

Thank you all for the comments! John I agree, being so short and a fat and flat bottom form I think it needed some kinda lift. If not a pedestal at least a short foot as I have it too flat on the bottom. I admit to getting carried away with
    the pedestal length.

Faust, that idea of the single light is a good one. Just read an article on using one soft box and a reflector on the other side. But when I did light through fabric, I got the matte looking finish as shown on picture #4. I have another trick to try that might work here call "painting the light". It has to be pitch black and you set the shutter on the camera to open for 15 - 30 sec., then paint the light on with a flashlight. It's tricky, but has a neat affect, just not sure about the gloss part.

Alan, thanks for your comments as well, I will just have to try the next one with a short foot. I'm actually drying a couple rough outs that are more southwest shapes, so no pedestal for those.

Thank you Mike! I haven't been turning very long, but you can sure learn a bunch hanging with this crowd right here. I just need the right lighting combo and yes, reflection of light. Thanks!