Thread: When to use a Fret Saw vs Coping Saw?

When to use a Fret Saw vs Coping Saw?

Hi guys,
    Every time I look in the LV catalog, I wonder this, because they sell both. Can you please teach me: when does one use a Coping Saw and when a Fret Saw? I ask, because it seems like folks use them interchangably. Yet they must serve different purposes in some way?

Thanks very much!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Within my own experience only a few differences can be offered.

Fret saws tend to have blades available that are thinner than coping saw blades. This allows for finer turns and thus detail work with a fret saw.

Coping saw blades have pins to hold them in the saw. Fret saws use a clamping arrangement. The fret saw allows a blade that is broke to be used. It is a bit difficult to saw with a very short blade.

The standard coping saw tends to have more space between the blade and the frame of the saw than a typical fret saw.

A coping saw tends to have a way to rotate the orientation of the blade to the saw. Sometimes it is only a few choices. A fret saw doesn't always have this feature.

There are sure to be many more differences.

For dovetail work to remove waste both have been employed in my work.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-06-2015 at 2:07 PM. Reason: blade turning
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When you need to cut tighter curves. If I'm fitting crown molding that's not going to be painted, where every defect is obvious, I use a coping saw for the larger radius curves on the wide top part, and a jewelers saw for the cove at the bottom. A jewelers saw uses the same blade as the fret saw.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-07-2015 at 10:57 AM.

I'm not an expert but I consider a fret saw to be a deeper coping saw. Modern coping saws tend to use pinned blades but I have what I consider to be coping saws that use pinless blades. I mostly use crown tooth scroll saw blades in them.

So, to answer the question I use the coping saw until I need the depth that a fret saw allows.

As mentioned, fret saws will turn tighter and leave a smaller kerf. Not being able to turn the blade attachment isn't a problem, just take a pair of dikes and give the blade a twist at both ends. Fret saws tend to be slower cutting and the blades will break. I've never worn out a fret saw blade before it broke and I can't remember the last time a coping saw blade broke before wearing out.

I use both. Which one usually depends of the kerf of the dovetail saw not which is a better saw. BTW no need for high tech frames for either. Less than $20USD will get you a good frame.

ken