Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joined Walnut Desk

Quote Originally Posted by Zuye Zheng View Post
    I glued the first 4 boards of the top, then built the box and attached to the last board before glueing everything together.
    I think I worked it out. Thanks again for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Wonderful piece.

Is she going to let you buy some more tools now?

jtk
    Fantastic!

Looks great Zuye!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks for all the support guys!

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Very nicely done. The attachment of the till is very creative. I can not recall ever seeing that done before. How much reveal did you leave where the hatch (door) meets the main desk top?
    Jim
    About 3/4" on the sides showing the dovetails. Thought the little detail would be a nice little accent to tabletop.

I also really like the lines and the till. How did you waste out the dados for the sliding dovetail?

Cograts on a fine piece and welcome to the creek.

chris c.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Sliding Till, sweet! I love the pile of shavings all over the floor in the "ripping the legs" photo, Thanks for taking the time to post this!

Tom.

Great idea! I've been looking for a table design with storage, but w/o drawers.

Beautiful. Can you tell us a little about how you finished it?

Also - I see dovetails in the desktop. Can I assume that is how the compartment is hung from the desktop? If so that is pretty neat. A nice detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Serra View Post
    Beautiful. Can you tell us a little about how you finished it?

Also - I see dovetails in the desktop. Can I assume that is how the compartment is hung from the desktop? If so that is pretty neat. A nice detail.
    2 coats of "golden oak" Danish oil, saw this on YouTube with walnut and looked richer than natural Danish oil so gave it a try. Regret a little using it on the stretchers as well since I liked the lighter natural maple color a little better. Finished with 3 coats of wipe on satin poly.

Yep on the compartment, pretty much a simple dovetailed box except the sides are a little taller to be dovetailed into the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I also really like the lines and the till. How did you waste out the dados for the sliding dovetail?

Cograts on a fine piece and welcome to the creek.

chris c.
    I sawed down the sides and chiseled about 1/2 inch to depth along the sides. This allowed me to get a scrub and #6 in there to take down the rest to depth, with the chisels sides acting as depth stops ala shooting board. Also had a rabbet block for cleanup. To get the angle I cut a 2x4 matching it and clamped as a chisel guide.

This is all I'd ever want a writing table to be. Wonderful work.