Thread: 18-inch Laguna lathe

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

18-inch Laguna lathe

Anyone have any observations on the 18-36 Laguna Revo lathe? Sure looks like a stout machine to me.
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 09-07-2015 at 5:35 AM.

I was looking at one at the local Woodcraft store last week. It was sitting next to a Jet 1642. The fit and finish was as good as the Jet. The bed height was several inches lower than the Jet. I would have needed to set it on some 4x4's. The squat design and the wide foot print should make it a very stable lathe when starting out with unbalanced blanks. It is 220V only. Our chub bought 8 1642's because we only had 120V available in training area.

I purchased the Revo 2436 about 6 months ago and have been totally satisfied.

Paul, the bed height is lower to provide clearance for the much larger diameter turnings. The spindle height is the same as the Jet 16-42.

Interestingly, Laguna does sell riser blocks as an accessory.

I was at Woodcraft last night and took a good look at this machine. It seems well built and well thought out to me. At the introductory price of $2249 it seems to me like a decent deal. The accessories are expensive but it does allow the capabilities of the machine to be expanded as your needs change. I may spring for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    Paul, the bed height is lower to provide clearance for the much larger diameter turnings. The spindle height is the same as the Jet 16-42.
    The lathe is 18"? That means the bed need only 1" lower to accomodate the same spindle height.....

I looked at it at Woodcraft also. I thought the banjo suffered the same as the Jet. It seems too short. I also noticed that the circumference of the pulley on the motor seemed small. I would think that there would not be much of the belt in contact with that small a pulley. I am guessing that belt slippage could be a problem? Splayed legs look to be an asset.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Well I stopped at Woodcraft last night and bought the Laguna 18-36 I hope this turns out to be a good machine. Should be in in a couple of weeks.

I am about to bite the bullet on the 18/36 myself. If the head stock is like the 18/47 which can be moved anywhere on the bed the possibilities are great. In a video of the 18/47 the head stock is at the far right and the demonstrator is shaping the inside of a bowl standing unobstructed. The bed is not a casting it is a weldment.

Since I started this thread two of my students have purchased them. I've turned on it and was extremely impressed. Lots of torque and horsepower. I would suggest adding a shop-made tray immediately below the ways (to hold chucks, etc) as well as a ballast tray. The finish is outstanding, and Laguna has built in all sorts of mounting points for bed extensions, including one on the side. Another handy convenience is the assortment of built-in tool holders for spur drives and chuck keys. It also has an outstanding indexing feature. One odd thing: it comes standard with a pair of brackets that are for mounting some sort of copying attachment for spindle work. For those of us who are bowlturners, this is effectively useless. One owner simply removed the bracket that fit on the tailstock, and used the other bracket to mount a magnetic light.

A comment about the pivoting head on this and other brands of lathes: For bowl work, you do not need to use the pivoting head exclusively in the indexed positions. That is, if you want to rotate it less than 90 degrees to get a better or more comfortable angle, you can. It will lock down nicely.

The speed control system is very precise, but I wonder why the emergency shut-off switch is three inches away from the regular shut-off. That seems a bit redundant.

The current price -- $2350 at most places -- seems to be designed to compete with the Jet 14-42. Bottom line is that this is probably an introductory price designed to create some feedback and positive reviews, and the price will probably jump next year. Feature-for-feature, this is the better lathe.
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 11-29-2015 at 1:03 PM.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

11. Tool post for my 1836 Laguna Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    Anyone have any observations on the 18-36 Laguna Revo lathe? Sure looks like a stout machine to me.
    I have no issues with my 18-36. The only problem I have is finding a tool rest with a post diameter that will fit the Laguna Banjo. The diameter of the banjo for the purpose of installing a tool rest is just under 1 inch in diameter and I have yet to find a manufacturer that sells this diameter tool post. I have had to request a manufacturing house I know make me some and quite honestly, the price is hefty. I cannot believe that Laguna does not sell tool rests for their machines!!?? I have issue with that but what can you do. Anyone out there have any insight as to a lathe manufacturer that sells tool rests that fit the Laguna 18-36? Thanks for any assistance.

Todd R

Robust will make a tool rest to fit your lathe.

All of my Robust 1" tool rests fit in the Revo without alteration. The lathe specs call for a 1" post as I recall.

Left click my name for homepage link.

All of my rests from my Jet 1642 work as well as my homemade versions using 1" bar. Shouldn't be a problem to get.

I have the revo 18/36 and have had no issues with tool rest. I have a Oneway and a Nova tool rest and they fit my lathe banjo ok. They may be a tiny tiny bit snug but not enough to make any difference, at least not to me.

If I had a problem, I would put the rest in a vise and sand the post with a long piece of sandpaper wrapped around the post.

I would do that before I paid for a custom made rest. Of course I say all this without knowing the exact condition of your banjo.
    Last edited by Joe Frank Porter; 05-12-2017 at 2:13 PM.