Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Video of Burglar Casing My Home with Close Up

Something that might help to get this conversation back on track, and something that any of us can do as a precautionary step in the unlikely event of a home (or shop) invasion like this, or even in the event of a fire or other 'natural' catastrophe, is to create an inventory/record of the items you own including their original or second hand value, descriptions, pictures, and receipts. In most cases, they'll be covered under your homeowner's insurance policy and could be replaced or at least partially compensated for. And no, I'm not an insurance agent

Kent, glad to hear (read) that your catburglar has apparently decided to move on to other areas.

pps - have you thought about doing anything to hide or camoflage the camera, so the potential perp doesn't even suspect it's there?
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 09-15-2015 at 3:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    After several incidents at the old house with kids egging the cars, minor break-ins (SWMBO left her car unlocked), etc. I finally broke down and purchased a multi-camera DVR. I had two cameras in the carport area covering the front of the house and (mainly) the driveway. During a remodeling session with a dumpster out front, someone threw some "extra" material in the dumpster. I thought to myself, "Now that I have those cameras, I can likely identify the perp (probably a neighbor)!". It was at this point I discovered only ONE camera's motion sensor was activated... I had failed to activate the second motion sensor through the DVR, so no video was being recorded. Of course, it was the side that would have captured the generous person.

False sense of security
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    Something that might help to get this conversation back on track, and something that any of us can do as a precautionary step in the unlikely event of a home (or shop) invasion like this, or even in the event of a fire or other 'natural' catastrophe, is to create an inventory/record of the items you own including their original or second hand value, descriptions, pictures, and receipts. In most cases, they'll be covered under your homeowner's insurance policy and could be replaced or at least partially compensated for. And no, I'm not an insurance agent

Kent, glad to hear (read) that your catburglar has apparently decided to move on to other areas.

pps - have you thought about doing anything to hide or camoflage the camera, so the potential perp doesn't even suspect it's there?
    Hi Mike, yes, I've moved the cameras now. When the electrician was out to install the motion activated flood lights, I had him install some outlets in the ceiling, which is 13 ft. high. The cameras are now 13ft. off the ground.

I am reminded of a few wise sayings that seem apt.

"Always remember - when seconds count, the Police are just minutes away!"
    As for "talking with the neighbors to warn everyone"? Facts are ~ 85% of home burglaries are carried out by someone lives within your own block (i.e. a neighbor) or a relative!
    Just seems like the guy KNEW you had a camera and went straight for it - thus had been in your carport before.
    People with addiction problems are desperate for anything they can pawn for fast cash and their next hit...
    "Better to be adjudged by 12 of your peers - than carried by 6".

Sign on the gate?

"Never Mind the Dog - the owners Armed & Ex Nam Vet, completely bat shyte crazy, certifiable & totally unpredictable, not to mention awful twitchy when his meds wear off - enter at your own risk (but best have your life insurance paid up first). Burglars WILL be shot without warning. Survivors, will be shot......again! Go Ahead, make my day"

Local Plods said my sign was "overly threatening and an affront to the neighbors" so i agreed to modify it... removed the reference to the dog.