Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Block Plane, first one

Blog Entries
    Most of my mouth adjustment is done to close the mouth when rounding over corners. When approaching the wood at odd angles it helps to regulate the amount of wood the blade can bite.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Frankly, ANYTHING will be a huge upgrade after a Stanley #102 !!!!

Of course, you could go for one of these: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...k%20Plane.html

If you are trying to keep costs down, try and get a vintage Stanley #60 1/2 or the Miller Falls/Record equivalent.

If you want to spend more, it is a choice between full size or small block planes. The best two full size are the LN #60 1/2 and the LV DX60. There is a comparison here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...lockPlane.html

The LV is easier to adjust and has the better blade. The LN is a little more comfortable to hold.

The smaller, fixed mouth block planes are the LN #103, LN#102 and the LV Apron Plane. The #103 is a standard angle bed, while the other two are low angle.

In my opinion, the small, fixed bed block planes should be purchased after the larger, adjustable mouth block planes. Jim makes a valid point about the use of adjustable mouths used at an angle. The small, fixed mouth planes excel at trimming/chamfering edges. I have the LN #103 which has a higher cutting angle.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hey Derek,

How's that compendium of block planes write-up coming along?
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Frankly, ANYTHING will be a huge upgrade after a Stanley #102 !!!!

Of course, you could go for one of these: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...k%20Plane.html

If you are trying to keep costs down, try and get a vintage Stanley #60 1/2 or the Miller Falls/Record equivalent.

If you want to spend more, it is a choice between full size or small block planes. The best two full size are the LN #60 1/2 and the LV DX60. There is a comparison here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...lockPlane.html

The LV is easier to adjust and has the better blade. The LN is a little more comfortable to hold.

The smaller, fixed mouth block planes are the LN #103, LN#102 and the LV Apron Plane. The #103 is a standard angle bed, while the other two are low angle.

In my opinion, the small, fixed bed block planes should be purchased after the larger, adjustable mouth block planes. Jim makes a valid point about the use of adjustable mouths used at an angle. The small, fixed mouth planes excel at trimming/chamfering edges. I have the LN #103 which has a higher cutting angle.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I don't know, that Orange Block Plane is pretty sweet! It really demonstrates how important the sharpening is.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Hey Derek,

How's that compendium of block planes write-up coming along?

A little bit slower than anticipated ...........

Regards from Perth

Derek

I somehow have accumulated ... ah.... several block planes. I do prefer ones with depth and lateral adjusters and moveable toe plates.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    The majority will vote for the adjustable mouth.
    the minorty will vote for the smaller plane. I have smaller hands and prefer the smaller size.

I rarely adjust the mouths of my planes.

I find the shorter length more versatile.

i have two small, fixed blokcks and one 60 1/2. I never touch the large one.
    I'm with Prashun on this and it may be a hand size thing. I have block planes but, find I reach for the Lee Valley "Apron" plane (which is similar in size to the LN 102) more often than not for block plane jobs. I do have a ball-tail for my low angle block plane and use it sort of like a No.3 at times so in the area of versatility, the adjustable mouth and larger size pay off. For what I consider small work though, a standard block plane is often over-sized for the task for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Say, does anyone know if one of the Veritas pm-V11 blades will work in a Lie Lielsen 60 1/2?

If so, that combined with the Howard adjuster upgrade would make a mighty sweet tool.

I'd love a longer-lasting edge, but I dislike the feel of the original LV LABP, and I personally think their new block planes are ridiculously gaudy looking. I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy one of those, despite the performance.