Thread: Podium from a novice.

Podium from a novice.

IMG_0050.jpg
    I built this cherry podium for my son's church. They were replacing an old one that has probably been around since the 70's or 80's. It's solid cherry wrapped around a center post with solid cherry feet. The top is cherry plywood with solid cherry edges. I finished it with one coat of 1# shellac followed by three coats of lacquer.

It was a learning experience for me. There are some things I would do differently if I were to do it again, but it suits their purpose so I guess it's okay.

Nice work. The cherry will darken and it will be a classic for another 40 years.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice job. Cherry is a very beautiful wood and it gets darker with age. Congratulations.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks! I had to talk them out of staining it. They wanted to go with a deep, Washington Cherry stain. I convinced them that leaving it unstained would result in a much prettier piece for much longer. The stained version would probably end up looking black after a decade where this will only continue to look better with time.

Blog Entries
    Very nice! Cherry is my favorite wood.
    Not to be nit-picky, but, that is actually a lectern, a podium is an elevated platform which can incorporate a lectern.
    I say this, only because I have been corrected several times myself and it has been engraved in my head!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I learn something new every day.

That's attractive. Good job resisting the pressure to stain.

Very nice, Scott. It looks like it will do the job very nicely, in style.