Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gulf states and other Humid People

Wear fewer clothes.
    Don't please send pix, tho.

I suppose you just get acclimated to whatever climate you live in. I grew up in Sacramento where it is hot and dry all summer. Our house didn't have AC and neither did my first 3 cars. I don't remember feeling the heat. It was just the way things were and you know you have to tolerate it.

Steve

Air conditioning is the only way. I'm not into sweating all over my equipment or wood. My a/c runs 24/7 all summer. It also keeps the rust away and the wood dry and acclimated.

Red
    RED

I live in AZ a good part of the year and most the time its very dry, but when we have heavy rain storms the humidity jumps up real high and it's really unbearable for a few days till it drys out again. I also spend part of the summer in NH and believe it or not we have a bunch of hot very humid days were all you do is sweat, my relief here is to jump in the lake and just float around
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    I suppose you just get acclimated to whatever climate you live in. I grew up in Sacramento where it is hot and dry all summer. Our house didn't have AC and neither did my first 3 cars. I don't remember feeling the heat. It was just the way things were and you know you have to tolerate it.
    Personally, I can handle heat way easier than humidity. It is way harder to get used to humid heat than it is to get used to dry heat.

I was out in the dry desert a few years ago and I was more comfortable in 107 degree dry heat then at home with 85 degree humid heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post

Steve
    I grew up in the New Orleans area without air conditioning and survived. But now that I've lived in cooler areas and known air conditioning, I'll never be able to go back to living without AC.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I live in AZ a good part of the year and most the time its very dry, but when we have heavy rain storms the humidity jumps up real high and it's really unbearable for a few days till it drys out again. I also spend part of the summer in NH and believe it or not we have a bunch of hot very humid days were all you do is sweat, my relief here is to jump in the lake and just float around
    I hope not from someone's suggestion, Bert.

I remember once, while visiting relatives near OK city, I went out their front door to get their mail from the box about 100 feet away. 95 degrees, 95% humidity. I was sweating heavily by the time I got back in the house.

Continuing same trip, stopped at a campground in North Carolina. Changed out a Power Steering hose on the car, and thought I would melt before I got it done.

Near Johnson City Texas, it was so hot and humid we could not run the air on the car without overheating, and stayed at a private campground for two days simply because they had a pool, and we had no AC in our small trailer. News reports on TV were frying eggs on sidewalks in Dallas.

Then we arrived at Florida. Looked at a new housing development where they put in concrete terrazzo floors. When we asked why not carpeting, we were told it was to avoid mildew.

When we got back as far as Lake Havasu AZ, we stopped at midnight and stayed in a campground. At midnight it was still 99 degrees, but low humidity. We slept until noon. It was the first good nights sleep we had in weeks.

Memorable trip.

Our next trailer had AC.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 09-12-2015 at 12:05 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.