Thread: Cutting Acrylic

Cutting Acrylic

I bought some 5" acrylic blanks for bottle stoppers with the plan to cut them in half. Can they be cut on the band saw without dulling the blade? Should I use a thin parting tool to cut them on the lathe? For those who have cut acrylic blanks, what's your method. Thanks.

Any woodworking saw will cut them although it will be somewhat messy. A band saw is a good choice for square stock as long as it is thick enough to engage three or more teeth at any time.

I've just been cutting some acrylic on my band saw for a dust collection chute. Chips out the edge of the acrylic some, but cut like butter otherwise, easier than pine. I can't imagine it dulls the blade any more than any wood you would put through it, probably less. And for pen blanks where you'll be squaring up the cut ends anyway, the chipping shouldn't be an issue at all, it didn't go far. Annoying when you want a clean result at a glued seam, but nothing to remove really.

Jon

I've cut acrylic with my bandsaw and also with a handsaw - both work just fine! I did use a fine tooth blade and a slow feed rate on the bandsaw - minimizes the chipping.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Heh, I'll remember that for the next time Steve, but I'm already done cutting all the parts! Not to hijack the thread, but how fine toothed a blade? I was using an 8tpi, 1/4"hook tooth. Finest I had. The chipping wasn't that bad, but I'm "particular" as my wife generously puts it, so I had to leave margin to clean it up. As a further proof that it won't hurt your band saw blade, it also planes ok (less and smaller chip-out) to get rid of the majority of the ugly, and then sands pretty quickly.

Jon

Thanks for the replies. The band saw it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shank View Post
    I was using an 8tpi, 1/4"hook tooth. Finest I had.
    Same blade that I used. Chip out wasn't bad but the key was the slow feed rate. Same thing when you turn it, sharp tools but remember to let it cut - DO NOT force it or it will chip! It is just like creating tearout when forcing the tool through wood without giving it time to cut the fibers.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have had no problems cutting it with any tools, but you have to be careful not to let the plastic melt together behind the band saw blade. I believe it does this when you go too slow, but I don't remember. If you cut it really fast and it melts, then I was wrong, so do it the other way.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Thanks Steve, I must have cut a little fast, although like I said the chipping wasn't really that bad, maybe a millimeter out from the cut. Enough to be annoying to remove, but with planning not really a big deal. And yes, when I tried it first with the scroll saw it melted horribly behind the cut, didn't have that problem at all with the band saw.

Jon

Thanks Steve Schlumpf. Wish I had seen your post before I started turning them, but it became readily apparent how quickly the acrylic chips.