Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reception Desk with Curved Front

I'm late to the party, but that's one sweet job right there! Cool to see it from design to finish.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Sign In Podium for my current project

My usual helper wasn't available to help me so I asked another to come down with me for the day and he was free. Had a good time, worked hard and got'r done.

Installed the countertops today, to bad they want to change the color of them now.
    She said white at the beginning of the project and then changed the color scheme of the
    desk. Never said anything about the counters. The she said that it should have matched
    the desk somehow. So I point blank asked her what color she told me to do. She said not
    white. And then I asked what color she told it should be .... no answer. Because she said
    white. So now there's a change order. Got a chip chain of colors to choose from. Hopefully
    they'll just keep the white.

Eventually the back wall above the counters will have 3/8" cork applied.

Took off the painted trim and and replaced it with Sapele. Bleached it in the shop in lengths.
    Then cut it to size and mounted it on the columns after removing the old trim. Sanded the corners
    very hard and then stained. After 1/2 hour I applied a shaker can water base satin poly urethane. Scuff sanded
    and put a total of 3 coats on. Painting crew needs to put on another coat to finish up their part.

Then mounted the sign in podium.

Got the final pics of the desk

That really looks great Leo.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Funny...Why do folks invest in beautiful cabinets, just to have the visitors looking at the ugly back of a computer monitor?

They have about 5 people that use it on a normal basis that I have seen. So far all of them said they love it. Working on revamping the old reception desk into an office for 2 of the girls that work there. I'll see if I can get some pics of that. Currently it's surrounded by a plastic barrier to keep the dust down. We installed a painted counter and doorjamb and then put walls up to the grid ceiling. I'm making windows for it now. The door is just going to be a 3x7 solid core oak door.

Last edited by Leo Graywacz; 11-25-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Funny...Why do folks invest in beautiful cabinets, just to have the visitors looking at the ugly back of a computer monitor?
    The plan was for it to be on the right side, but that was a bit awkward for them apparently, because they moved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    The plan was for it to be on the right side, but that was a bit awkward for them apparently, because they moved it.
    One thing you can suggest to clients for future projects is insetting the flat-screen monitor into the desk surface. That can keep it square in front of the person where it needs to be to reduce potential physical health issues while at the same time avoiding what Jamie brings up. A piece of tempered, non-glare glass inset in the desk surface is typical for this application.

This is a terrific project, Leo. Bravo on its completion!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It was discussed. The pricing was a problem. They were getting it from someone else. I'm sure I could have made it happen. But they made up their minds.

Well, the customer is always ri...err...
    --

The customer is not always right. You just have to make them feel that way so you don't have trouble getting the final check

Made the frame and attached it to the 3 windows

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    The customer is not always right. You just have to make them feel that way so you don't have trouble getting the final check
    Exactly.....
    --

Wow - nice work - !
    ken