Thread: Dresser ...

Dresser ...

I have finally finished another dresser for one of my children. It has been in pieces and a work in progress for the past 3 years. Having two little ones has made it difficult to get shop time and with a 3rd on the way I set out recently to finish this one up before #3 arrives. Cherry with hard maple drawers. All hand cut dovetails front and back on the drawers which has taken me quite a bit of time to finish up in the last few months. I made it to match a changing table I made for my first son when he was born. Not perfect by any means but is solid wood and will provide lots of drawer space for clothes.

IMG_0478.jpg IMG_0479.jpgIMG_0481.jpg

I decided to just use spray shellac for a finish this time around for the main piece and the drawer fronts and then paste wax for the drawers.

Overall I am very happy with the way it turned out.

Greg

Very nicely done - congratulations!

You should be pleased with this. It looks great. With three kids, you are going to need to make more dressers. Children have a tendency to get attached to their bedroom furniture and think it should follow them out of the house as they start to make their way in the world.

Handmade or store bought drawer handles? Also curious about the forward/reverse color pattern.
    Almost forgot: very nice project and execution!

Blog Entries
    Nice strong simple lines. Great pulls ;-) Beautiful material and nice figure selection. Shellac is a go-to finish for me whenever it makes sense. For cupboards, drawers or other items with a known high use area like pulls or hand holds I will put a bit of varnish in that area and blend it in. I dare say that dresser will be in use for more than just his childhood.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-13-2015 at 3:33 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Very nice. That cherry will age nicely. Just be careful not to leave a lamp or something sitting in one place on the top for the first few months to prevent shadows from forming.

Added note: If you haven't already done something similar, embed a penny from this year in the back with a 3/4" forstner bit to record the year the dresser was made for future generations.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-15-2015 at 4:59 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

thanks for the comments. Drawer pulls are from lee valley. hoping that we can change them out in the future once the kiddeos get bigger and Joe you are correct that I am assume this will follow one of them out the door in the future. Rick just keeping interest with the forward / reverse drawer pull pattern and the boy wanted them that way and easy to change at any time.

I guess I need to start thinking about a dresser for #3 right now but I would like a bit of a break and one of these days I am going to build a dresser for myself.

Greg

Greg, that's a lovely piece and will mean so much to your children over the years. Nicely done!
    David B. Morris

"Holz ist heilig."

9. Nice. Well done.

Quality work. Like your dovetails and how you left the trace of a lay out line. Bench marks like this will remind generations to come that this made especially for them.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss