Thread: Another Adirondack chair (with some comments on using cheap cedar)

Another Adirondack chair (with some comments on using cheap cedar)

Here's my Adirondack chair, which follows the design in the Fine Woodworking article almost exactly:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodw...ack-chair.aspx

MJR_20150914_0052.jpg

There's not much I can say about its construction, as many people have built something similar already, but here are a few comments about the wood:

I used very rough cedar sold by my local Home Depot, all construction grade, as you can see from the knots in the photo. The 1 inch pieces (sides, cradles for the back, risers) were milled from 2x6s, which worked well because there was plenty of wood to work with. If fact, I chose to resaw the generously thick boards after jointing, to save wear-and-tear on my planer knives. But not so for the thinner boards, which started out what Home Depot calls 1x4. Actual thickness was 7/8 inch, but by cutting them to size and keeping jointing and planing to a minimum, I was left with about 5/8 inch. The plans called for a true 3/4, but I didn't think the difference was important. The arms were glued up from the 4 inch wide boards (3 1/2 actual) and reinforced by biscuits. I did that without regard to how I would cut the curves with the bandsaw, which resulted in a few exposed biscuits. As they're in the inside (the large curves that go around the sitter's body), they're not too noticeable. In an outdoor piece with knotty lumber to begin with, I don't think they matter.

My next chair (a single chair is very lonely under the tree) might be of the same wood, or I might spring for clear cedar or white oak, if I can get them.

I think there are 29 pieces of wood in total. Once I had them all cut to size, the assembly was about the most fun I've ever had in the shop. Aside from the glued-up arms, everything is screwed together, with no glue. No finish either, as the chair is supposed to turn gray, like me.
    Last edited by Marc Rochkind; 09-14-2015 at 9:09 PM.

I like it ,it's the form I got used to as a kid. Takes up more room than the newer ones but I think for grounds use ,it's better. Newer form probably more practical for porches and decks.

I love the ones with curved front edges.

Marc, aprox how many BF did that take?

I love these chairs. They are so comfortable! Nice work! I'd suggest gluing the parts together next time. I have made a few of these, using a different design. The first two were made from clear redwood without glue. The following ones were made from white oak with glue. The latter iterations are much sturdier. They don't creak when you plant your behind on them.

Oh, also consider plugging the screw holes. I strategically placed some contrasting wood plugs in mine.

I have built several chairs by that exact plan. I use old growth Cypress. The first ones were finished with spar varnish. They lived on a North facing porch. They eventually turned black with mildew, even though they were never directly in the weather. I don't know of any clear finish that will last. I have found the easiest finish to maintain is acrylic latex paint. The chairs can be sprayed with mildew remover and then hosed down with water to look almost new.

Allan: About 30-40 BF, including a lot of waste because of knots, bad splintering on the edges (as supplied by Home Depot), and warping. With clear lumber and very careful parts layout, that number would be much lower. Also, some of the 1 inch pieces could be 3/4 if hardwood.

Nicely done.The cedar will turn grey in time..Good job!!
    Jerry

Well done! I have used HD cedar for tops and rails on a few rustic tables. Hear you about the waste...lost a good amount to keep knots from cut edges, tenon ends, etc. Hopefully, we'll all age as gracefully as your chair will