Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Powermatic tenoning jig...Wow! Anyone know how much?

New Powermatic tenoning jig...Wow! Anyone know how much?

I just got an email with a video link to a new powermatic tenoning jig, looks like they pretty much blew away anything else available for the table saw. Anyone seen one in person that can comment on build quality or know the price? I wonder how many use tenon jig in the table saw for tenons?

http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/comm...od%40mac%2Ecom
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

No idea on price yet, but it makes my mouth water. I'm just surprised it took so long to reinvent the tenoning jig and that Powermatic was the one to do it.

Make no mistake, the gold standard will be priced accordingly.

Last edited by Michael Moscicki; 09-15-2015 at 1:33 PM.

Watched the video - very nice setup. Surprising that it took this long for a company to come up with that clever indexing system. The board clamp leaves something to be desired.

With the Domino, does anyone besides me still use mortises? I guess I'm questioning the market?
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 09-15-2015 at 1:31 PM. Reason: changed clever to adjective
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I have a dado jig that works on the same index (don't need to measure) principal. I agree the F-style clamp used for the board holder looks less than impressive.

Looks like a really nicely designed jig. I do like the IDEA of indexing for the tenon width... but I suspect it would be simpler and faster for me to just do as I currently do with my old school tenon jig: sneak up on the cut. It really only takes me a minute or so to dial in the thickness of the tenon on my first test piece, and maybe another minute to mark the rough dimensions as a starting point for my guess-and-check method.

But it does look like a nice tool for sure.

The other issue here... it looks like the indexing system is primarily designed for those who use hollow chisel mortisers.

But even for those who do, let's say you want to center your mortise on the workpiece. The simplest way to do that is to do your first set of plunge cuts, then flip the workpiece around and clean up the other side. Even this simple act could make the mortise wider than the chisel, thus throwing off the indexing system. As soon as you aren't able to get the tenon the correct width on your first test cut, you're going to be guessing and checking anyway.

So why not just start by guessing and checking and skip the indexing steps?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Watched the video - very nice setup. Surprising that it took this long for a company to come up with that clever indexing system. The board clamp leaves something to be desired.

With the Domino, does anyone besides me still use mortises? I guess I'm questioning the market?
    Yes, I almost always use mortice and tenon construction.............Rod.

They have a reseller listing it - $329

I use M&T joinery, although less now that I have a Domino. For straight tenons, I make them on the table saw with a sled (I suppose you could use your miter gauge). So the only time I use a tenon jig is if the tenon is not straight, as occurs with the seat side rails tenon into the back. I don't have any problems using the tenon jig I presently have so I doubt if I'd upgrade to this one.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm in the Domino camp too. Tenon is fine. I just somehow don't enjoy making mortise. I don't know why. Maybe because my small Delta mortiser is flimsy.
    So, I'm more interested in how you all make mortises.....

Quote Originally Posted by Susumu Mori View Post
    I'm in the Domino camp too. Tenon is fine. I just somehow don't enjoy making mortise. I don't know why. Maybe because my small Delta mortiser is flimsy.
    So, I'm more interested in how you all make mortises.....
    Hi, I use A General International mortise, or if it's only a couple I just use a mortise chisel..........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post

Yep, almost always use M&T joinery, could never justify the cost of a domino, when i can hand cut everything.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Molaver View Post
    They have a reseller listing it - $329
    Thanks for being the only person to actually answer one of the original questions. I received the same email and couldn't find anyone listing a price. I think I will stick with my old style PM tenoning jig. The new one looks like it does a lot of cool stuff, but not enough to make me want to upgrade for that price.

Steve

Here is the link to the product page with the price. No affiliation with Beaver Industrial Supply.
    http://beavertools.com/1799000-power...oning-jig.html

I have a Domino, but I still do a lot of mortice and tenon construction. Depending on the piece I'm building.

I haven't cut a tenon on the tablesaw for a long time though, if going with power operated I usually use a shaper now.