Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool track saw plus dust extractor

Festool track saw plus dust extractor

My birthday is coming up and the wife as agreed to buy me a new tool. I told her what I wanted and she was okay with it but I wanted to get check with some of you Festool owners here if I'm picking the right tools. I'm looking at getting the TS 75 and the CT 48 dust extractor. I want to know if these are the latest version/models they have for these 2 machines. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UB5DE2/...I32AEDM9MBMRQQ
    Here's a link to what I have in mind. I understand the TS75 is the latest model minus the cordless one (I'm find with cord) but I'm not too sure about the dust extractor. It seems to me that the CT48 is the largest model they have, correct? Also, how do you like it and how has it performed for you so far? Thanks in advance for any input.

Hoang

I think you may be going to big for both the saw and the extrator. The CT48 is a bit to large, and rather ungainly. The CT36 seems like the sweet spot in terms of mobility and capacity. Keep in mind all CTs have the same motor and suction, the larger ones just have more dust space.

The TS75 is the bigger of the two track saws they have, the other being the TS55 REQ. Unless you have a real need for the larger cut capacity I'd go with the TS55, its a lot easier to handle.

I have the TS55 and a CT22 that I've had for close to 10 years. As Jim said, If you regularly cut anything larger then 2" I'd go with the TS75, but when I looked at them it seemed pretty large and harder to handle. The CT 22 has been a great machine and I haven't done anything to it. I would definitely buy one again. I did buy the longlife bag, which is ridiculously expensive, but I just empty it and put it back in. I'm sure it's saved me money in the long run. If you have festool questions head on over to the FOG, Festool owners group, you will get more than your fair share of opinions there. I'd post a link, but I'm not sure we can do that here....
    Steve

I just bought a TS 55 and CT 26 on Monday. I haven't used it except for a couple of cuts yet, but am happy with my purchase. I wanted the saw to cut full sheets of plywood as my shop is not big enough to do that inside. I looked at the TS 75 and it was a lot bigger and I don't need to cut stuff that thick for long cuts. As far as the dust collector, I have a small shop and was looking at the 26 and the midi. In the end I liked the wheels better on the 26 so bought it. The 48 would be much larger and more difficult to move around. One thing to consider is you can get the smaller units and attach an Oneida Ultimate Dust Deputy especially designed for the Festool units. My understanding is with that unit it takes a lot longer to fill the bags up.

I went through this a few years ago and found that the TS55 and CT26 are the perfect combo since I already have a table saw and a dust collector. I have a Onieda dust deputy on top of the CT26 along with the boom arm so it's not small compared to the CT48 but I have not changed the original bag that came with the CT26 for the past 4 years. Unless you regularly cut thick slabs of wood all the times, I would get the TS55.
    Mike

I also have a TS55.

What do you mainly plan on using it for? If it is sheet goods and 3/4" lumber I would go with the TS55 instead of the TS75

Regarding the dust extractor - they basically all have the same suction - your paying for the size. I have a CT36 which works for me because I have the work station attached on the top. I also have Bosch VAC090S Vacuum that I purchased for use with my Bosch Miter saw and I have to say I am very impressed with it. I don't think I would buy a Festool Dust Extractor again - I don't need HEPA and I just can't justify the expense

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

71pys3PVWKL._SL1253_.jpg

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. The track saw will mainly be used to rip sheet goods before going on the table saw so it will mostly see 3/4" thick cuts. However, I do make table tops from time to time which are about 1.5" to 1.75" thick. If the TS55 will handle that then I may consider it.

As for dust extractor, It will live it's life in my shop and I don't plan to transport it anywhere. Which is why I'm not too concerned about the size. Attaching a dust deputy to the dust extractor sounds like a good idea and is also something I may consider. I just hate to get the TS55 and end up needing to make a cut thicker then 2" and not be able to.

The TS55, on track, will cut a little over 2" deep. On those occasions when I am cutting thicker material I use the 55 and then run a handsaw through the kerf and flush up the cut with a hand plane or router. As stated by others, all the DCs have the same suction - the variable is size. I would suggest getting the CT26.
    regards - Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    The TS55, on track, will cut a little over 2" deep.
    Its actually a hair under 2" with the guide rail, 2 1/8" without it. Just an FYI, if its just an occasional thing it should be fine, but the TS55 is underpowered for doing 2" cuts. I was trying to cut some 1.5" LVLs the other day and it was struggling.

Not worth having to deal with the weight and bulk of the TS75 for just an occasional cut though.

I'm not so sure you guys are correct in saying all the Festool vans have same motor and suction?? I seem to remember reading specs stating that the 1 or 2 smallest sizes were rated different than the larger units.
    I personally wouldn't even entertain a Bosch vac!
    I have 3 or 4 of the Festool CT 33 /36 units, they have performed perfectly since new, about 12-14 years ago now, and get used every single day in my shop. I did have issues with the first model 33's power outlet not being up to snuff and wearing out, but new versions are still working fine.

Between all the replies I'm getting here and on FOG, I'm starting to lean more towards the TS55 and a CT36 (MAYBE a CT26) with a dust deputy attached to the dust extractor. I guess on those 1 off jobs where I do need to cut deeper then 2" stock, I can always hit it with a straight edge and a router with a straight bit on it (that's what I'm doing now).

Since this isn't the FOG, I will also note that it isn't just the vacuum where you are planning to pay a premium. ToolBarn has the DeWalt setup I have, their tracksaw with 102 and 55 inch tracks, for $538. That's a good price, it is often a little over $600. I don't know Festool prices buy my impression is you would pay more than twice as much to get the 55 with similar tracks. I'm sure Festools are nice, but I question whether they are worth twice as much. My shop vacuum is an old Rigid with a dust deputy attached on a cart with the Bosch 5 meter hose and an autoswitch. All of the above work well despite their much lower price. But Festools are well integrated with their other tools and there are more accessories than you can get for other brands.

I don't think 2 inch depth of cut is an issue. The only thing I've done close to that was trimming exterior doors. They are 1 3/4 inches so it was not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    Since this isn't the FOG, I will also note that it isn't just the vacuum where you are planning to pay a premium. ToolBarn has the DeWalt setup I have, their tracksaw with 102 and 55 inch tracks, for $538. That's a good price, it is often a little over $600. I don't know Festool prices buy my impression is you would pay more than twice as much to get the 55 with similar tracks. I'm sure Festools are nice, but I question whether they are worth twice as much. My shop vacuum is an old Rigid with a dust deputy attached on a cart with the Bosch 5 meter hose and an autoswitch. All of the above work well despite their much lower price. But Festools are well integrated with their other tools and there are more accessories than you can get for other brands. .
    My take on this:

Some of the great features of the Festool saws are: Riving knife, safety clutch, plunge feature, and dust collection.

If all you are doing is breaking down sheet goods, none of these features makes much difference. If you plan on also using it for hardwoods, to more safely do certain TS tasks, then the Festools are gems.

But of course, if you are doing the latter, then the TS75 is the way to go. The smaller Festool falls into a strange niche, unless you're just really well-off or you're a full-time pro.
    ---------

As for vacs, I agree the 48 would be too big. I have the 36, but if I did it again I'd go with the 26 and a dust deputy on top.

One more thought: Festool has recently started putting brushless motors in their ROS's. It's only a matter of time before they do the same with their vacs. This will mean less noise, longer life, and probably a bit more suction. It may or may not be wise to wait & see what shakes out. (Or just get what you need, and upgrade later, I guess.)

By no means am I well off but if I'm going to drop serious cash on a tool, I'd like to get the best even if it means spending a little more. Festool is one of those tools I've been dying to own one day and that day has come so nothing will talk me out of it. Only concern now is which ones to get. At this point I'm set on the TS55 but still trying to figure out if I want the CT26 or CT36. If indeed they both use the same motor and put out the same amount of CFM then I may go with the CT26 and add a dust deputy on it.

The DeWalt has a riving knife, safety clutch, plunge feature and excellent dust collection. It also has an anti-kickback feature to keep the saw from coming back towards you. It can be switched out. The wood whisperer has a good review and comparison of the Festool versus the DeWalt (he likes the Festool better which is what he uses but doesn't find any large differences). I use my DeWalt for both sheet goods and solid wood. I don't think the blade change on the DeWalt is difficult at all but I accept the Festool is easier (one Wood Whisperer criticism) and I like the plunge action (another criticism). Anybody thinking the Festool contains exclusively excellent materials should find the tear down you tube (of the Festool). Please understand, I am not trying to say the Festool is not a great tool and even a better tool, I just question whether it is worth 2 to 3 times as much. The DeWalt is pretty nice.

I think a TS 55 (or 75) plus a MFT using your existing (I assume) shop vacuum would give you more capability if you want to stick with Festool. It looks like the saw + table is similar in price to the saw + vacuum. The MFT gives you crosscut capability plus an excellent (although somewhat small) portable work surface.