Thread: Scroll saw pattern - where to find

Scroll saw pattern - where to find

This may be difficult to describe, but I'm currently making a horizontal knife block and would like to scroll saw a pattern into the top panel which is 4" high x 8" wide. So far I've Googled up a number of patterns, but they are all intended to produce a product that is a separate piece by itself. I'm looking for a "see through" design, preferably free, that can be adhered to the top panel with spray adhesive & then cut into the top panel with my scroll saw as a series of holes to resemble a figurine: a golden retriever, a tiger, a sprig of willow grass, etc, something along these lines that will retain the top panel as a solid piece. The pattern would be about 3" square, or perhaps 3" high x 5"-6" wide.
    Any suggestions?

Perhaps I should have used the word silhouette instead of pattern???
    Last edited by Al Launier; 09-17-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Can you provide a sketch of what you are trying to produce? It would seem easy to cut the type of pattern you want into the panel and then attach the panel to the knife rack.

You can print a pattern on a laser printer and then place the paper on your wood with adhesive. Once you are done you can sand off the paper. Or sometimes you can flip the printed image over and use a hot iron to transfer the black laser printing to the wood directly.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you do a search for Steve Good's Scrollsaw Workshop, you will find his website with tons of free patterns to print. You might find something of interest there.

The easiest way to do it is to put blue(doesn't have to be the 3M brand of tape or blue for that matter) painter's tape on the piece, then spray the adhesive on the painter's tape and apply the pattern. When you are done, simply peel the tape off and you don't have to sand off the paper or pull out the mineral spirits to try and dissolve the adhesive.
    Last edited by Michael Moscicki; 09-17-2015 at 4:10 PM. Reason: Grammar

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moscicki View Post
    The easiest way to do it is to put blue(doesn't have to be the 3M brand of tape or blue for that matter) painter's tape on the piece, then spray the adhesive on the painter's tape and apply the pattern. When you are done, simply peel the tape off and you don't have sand off the paper or pull out the mineral spirits to try and dissolve the adhesive.
    Wow, what a really a cool idea. I will definitely remember this one.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

+1 Blue tape - standard practice in the SS community. Check out Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts magazine (maybe at your local library) for additional patterns. Also take a look at the Fox Chapel web site. They have a large number of books with fretwork patterns of the kind you are looking for.

Thanks for all your suggestions. My daughter just sent me a copy of a Golden Retriever pattern that she would like me to use on her knife block.