Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ULS laser prices just jumped!

ULS laser prices just jumped!

Just called ULS for a laser cartridge exchange, I just did one 6 months ago, (I have a dual 60w cartridge system) it was $1200, a reasonable price compared to most others I've heard about, they just quoted me $2150! Anyone know why the price has gone up so much? Sucks for me, he said they just changed the pricing too. Something to consider for the new laser buyer.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Paul, I have no info. to offer, but is the $2150 quote for the combination of the two 60W cartridges or per cartridge? I am trying to determine if the price has essentially doubled. When I bought my used VLS, I first checked to see what a tube replacement/refurbishment would cost for when the tube died. I think the quote was roughly in the $1200 range. As you alluded to, ULS previously had one of the best replacement costs for western lasers. I sure hope they have not doubled that cost.
    Last edited by Samuel Espy; 09-17-2015 at 7:35 PM.
    VLS4.60 30W

So i just talked to Mike McKenzie my distributor, (I was told by ULS I have to go through my distributor now), he says there was such a huge problem with people not returning their old tube that it was costing them millions so they had to raise their prices and put the burden of any lost tubes onto the distributors. It's hard to believe that there are enough dishonest people out there that the rest of us have to pay the price!

Samuel, yes $1250 was the price for a single 60w refurbished replacement tube, the price was increased to $2150 in April.

Thanks for the clarification Paul, but that was obviously not the answer I was hoping for. ;-) I think it is a poor business decision on their part. If the real motive was to deal with people not returning the old cartridge, a deposit would take care of that easily. They are negating one of their selling points (reasonable tube replacement costs) as far as I am concerned.
    VLS4.60 30W

Thanks for the info Paul. I'm not sure I believe that explanation. I thought you had to give them a credit card that would cover the amount if you didn't send it back. If you did send it back, then they didn't charge you the full amount. For instance, they might be a hold on your card for $2,500. Once they got the tube back, they ran the card for $1,200.

If they aren't getting tubes back and it's costing them "millions", then it's their procedures failing, not the cost. That's a really, REALLY poor excuse to blame the customers.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Thanks for the info Paul. I'm not sure I believe that explanation. I thought you had to give them a credit card that would cover the amount if you didn't send it back. If you did send it back, then they didn't charge you the full amount. For instance, they might be a hold on your card for $2,500. Once they got the tube back, they ran the card for $1,200.
    Agreed... something sounds fishy about that explanation.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Check on Ebay. Their is someone doing it for a lot less. I hear good things about him. I forget his name but I understand he has been doing this for a long time and is reliable. I have not used him because I have not had the need to. I think his name is Vincent Fazzini or something like that. He does other Brands of Lasers
    eBay item # 121750840880
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-18-2015 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link per TOS

I think you guys are right, it doesn't seem possible to have that many people failing to return the old laser tube that it would justify a 72% increase in cost, I can understand a slight bump, and then a change in the way things are done, but that much of an increase seems to be just punishing the loyal customers, AND disregarding one of your major selling points, IE one of the most affordable tube replacements in the industry- not any more!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wernow View Post
    Check on Ebay. Their is someone doing it for a lot less. I hear good things about him. I forget his name but I understand he has been doing this for a long time and is reliable. I have not used him because I have not had the need to. I think his name is Vincent Fazzini or something like that. He does other Brands of Lasers.
    eBay item # 121750840880
    Bruce, thanks for the info, $850 seems much more reasonable, has anyone else had any experience with these guys, this could turn out to be a huge deal for Universal if they lose much of their repairs to someone like this! I will check into it more.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-18-2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link per TOS

I've noticed that ebay ad for a long time, and so far I've found no one on this forum who's used him...? But know this, when I need a tube charged, he's getting it. I see no reason not to give 3x less money to a guy with no negative feedback to do a simple recharge...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Sounds like they decided the profit (if any) at $1200 wasn't enough. If their competitors are charging much more then a business case can be made to be in that ballpark.
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

Well that's settled. 100% can't recommend ULS anymore. Why buy a laser that needs a tube every 3-5 years, needs bearings/belts/tensioners every 1-3 years, and does just an average job of engraving both in speed and quality?
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Morris View Post
    Sounds like they decided the profit (if any) at $1200 wasn't enough. If their competitors are charging much more then a business case can be made to be in that ballpark.
    That may be true but as was stated, it seems like a 72% increase is a bit much when that is one of your main selling points, and the reasoning seems questionable.

Ross, I'm starting to lean more toward that same opinion.

Bruce, I think I'm going to give the guy from ebay a try, his name is actually Phil Fostini, he responded to my email saying "I'm surprised universal has gone up so much. I work my pricing structure as time, material and labor. For 34 years I have always tried to be fair and take the black magic out of lasers. It also explains why I am receiving a large influx of ULS 50/60 and ULR 60's"
    here's the actual website www.evergreenlaser.com
    If this works out it could be a very reasonable outlet for many of us. I will post my results when it's done.

I'm in the same boat. I priced a replacement tube at the end of last year and I think with shipping it would be right around 1400. That was 1200 for the tube and 200 for shipping.

I just had to replace it last month and it was exactly $2000 and that included shipping.

The funny thing is in the same time the price of the a 60 watt laser has dropped about $6000. Both times when pricing the tube I also asked how much for a new laser.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

I talked to a ULS rep today and they told me that the price increase happened a couple months ago and I was told that it was because they now included next day shipping costs too and from in that, and they even said that what was $1,400 is now about $2,100. They didn't mention a single word about people not returning tubes, and said it was a documented policy change from ULS.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.