Thread: Fun in the woodshop

Fun in the woodshop

In between driving semi for dad during corn harvest and various other projects, I've made a little progress on the new shop. First being, building a new mobile clamp rack that I modeled off of rocklers. The only problem is that I didn't leave much room for expansion and everybody knows you can't have too many clamps I'm still wanting to add some sort of shelves/drawers in the middle
    photo 1.jpg

Second being two parts carts. In my old shop I barely had room for a decent size project and didn't have to walk far to get anywhere but it's going to be a little different in this shop.
    I used some ash from a tree I pulled out of the creek and had milled last year. I had the sawyer kiln dry it just to kill any bugs. The legs/supports where 6/4 white oak as I had the ash all milled 4/4, but it doesn't match too bad.
    photo 2.jpg
    And the third was remodeling this workbench. I saw it on CL and was only interested in the vise at first, but then after I looked at it some more I figured that I could get some more use out of some of it. I tore the top off before I took any pics as I wasn't planning on saving it.... but it was 2 1/4" fir or similar. The PPO had screwed down some 1/4" aluminum plate down and the tore the snot out of that bench as after I pulled the plate up there was still a 3/8" plus drop off right were the aluminum ended. The base and drawers where in decent shape so I decided to build a new top. I ended up using some yellow pine that came from an old house that we took down off our property. I believe they were floor joist 2x8s which I then ripped down into 3 strips, set on edge and glued together for a mostly QS yellow pine top. Doesn't look to shabby if I say so myself. I than mounted the Emmert vise as my main vise and a Columbian on the opposite side that I picked up on CL a while back for 3$, added a couple outlets and some shelving on the "back side". This will be super nice as my table saw/ out feed was my main assembly table before. Sorry for the poor phone pics.
    photo 5.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Nice Rack! :-)

Nice additions to your shop. And I like the bench. Came out nicely.
    Fred

That all looks really nice. Very substantial. I would like to learn to weld, seem like a real usable skill

I have that Rockler rack....Shelves should be an easy matter to mount on the rails...Mine has 3 shelves..Good job.
    Jerry

Thanks for all the complements guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    That all looks really nice. Very substantial. I would like to learn to weld, seem like a real usable skill
    Yeah it's come in handy more than once. I've built mobile bases for most of my machines, because I didn't have room for everything in my old shop. I actually built one for my 1600+ lbs 16" jointer. The metal I used for the rack was a little rusty so I had to use the stick welder, which I'm not as good with as a MIG welder, but it hasn't come apart yet

Nicely done! Good score on the bench, especially that vise!

I was working on my DC this morning and my nephew came to "help" me. I have a floor sweep right under my bench so he started collecting all my unused pieces and setting up his own DC I got a good laugh out of it if nothing else, and he was having a ball watching all the dust disappear.
    photo 1.jpg