Thread: Possible new project - Advice wanted

Blog Entries

Possible new project - Advice wanted

So my son also plays guitar (and bass, and piano, and drums…) and has an acoustic I built for him. He is now interested in a Microtonal Guitar. The potential project outline so far:

7 String / Baritone scale (27") / Presumably standard tuning ratio - based upon a G# 7th string root / 16 tone - Equal Temperament / Neck through Body / Ebony Fretboard / Stoptail Bridge or string through body (No Tremelo) / Fender style (flat) headstock / probably single bridge pick-up / No Top cap on body / Minimal to zero inlay

So I have the following questions:
    1.) Would you treat this as a standard build up until the fretboard slotting (obviously not on the neck) and before bridge placement?
    2.) Sourcing suggestions for Truss Rod / Bridge?
    3.) Standard Scale jigs won't do. I have found a Calculator for the project. I will probably need to build a special jig for the Fretboard. Advice?
    4.) Any other advice?

My son has many ideas and is gung-ho to start, but tends to lose interest; so the project may never happen (between his bands and continued interest in finding a girlfriend). However, it is an intriguing project.

Personally, I would build it as a fretless guitar…
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 09-19-2015 at 6:56 PM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

You may be able to utilize the standard scale of 25.5" and add a fret down by the nut. Leo usually tried to utilize the same cutters for all of his instruments, and added cutters or removed them for special runs.

Make your own truss rod - not too difficult.

Bridges and pickups are available online - Guitarfetish probably has them.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I just ran Stew-mac's Fret calculator for both 25.5" scale and 27.00" scale (21 & 22 frets respectively), and they're really close.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Yep it is a standard build.

I would just lay out the new scale length and cut them by hand if you are only doing one. Definitely make your own truss rod. All you need is a torch, steel rod, a little brass, and a tap and die set. If your building a guitar the trusrod is well with your reach.

You should change your mind on inlay. It is what makes a custom guitar custom.

Bridge just buy it from Ebay. They have a ton of new and used 7 string bridges.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........