Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench is finally completed!

Workbench is finally completed!

image.jpgimage.jpg
    It's been a long time in the making but this Roubo has finally crossed the finish line.

I obtained the materials for the bench a couple years ago. My previous bench was destroyed in 2011 when serious flooding occurred in North Dakota. The water level got to 4" over the top of the doors, (a little over 7' deep), and remained for nearly a month. The old bench top literally went to pieces.

The new bench is primarily constructed of hard maple and Jatoba. The hardware all came from Benchcrafted and I used the criss-cross on the leg vise. Pricy stuff, but oh so nice in use. I also used some red oak that went through the flood for the shelf boards. I'm not a big fan of red oak but these ended up having some nice staining which gives them some additional character. I used the Jatoba for the dog hole strip, the wagon vice block, the leg vise chop and the sliding deadman. I also used soft maple for the gap stop.

I started on the bench top shortly after receiving my parts and materials. Work got pretty hectic and shop time became scarce and it was a year later before I was able to work on the base. Last fall both rotator cuffs decided to act up and I was lucky to be able to lift my arms, much less lift the pieces of a Roubo.

Doctor visits, a few injections, rest and therapy and I was finally able to get my arms back into commission, (thankfully avoiding surgery.) Nights and weekends gave me enough time to complete what you see here. It'll be nice to finally clamp a piece to something rock solid and be able to chisel, saw and plane with impunity.

Now if I can just keep it clear enough to use. Space is at a premium in my shop and it took a lot of rearranging to just get these pictures. One of these days I'll get the new shop done where I can hopefully give this a dedicated location.

I did get the Benchcrafted hardware for a Moxon vise as well so that will hopefully occur this winter after I get a few other projects done.

Thanks for looking.

Clint
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a heck of a nice bench Clint. Nice combination of woods. I've mixed maple and jatoba once or twice too and like the look of them together. From what I've heard, you can't possibly go wrong with Benchcrafted.

Congratulations on finishing her up. Now, go build something cool with her!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-20-2015 at 6:34 PM. Reason: typos

Nice-looking bench, Clint.

Very nicely done Clint. Picture perfect.
    Jim

Beautiful work!

Thanks to all for the comments

Clint

Stunning! What type of finish did you use?

The only thing on the bench and shelf is a single coat of Watco Danish oil. The deadman and vise chop have multiple coats of Watco.

Clint

Beautiful bench Clint. In the process of a bench build myself albeit a bit less exotic on the wood or hardware. What are the final dimensions...particularly the legs...doesn't look like the 5"x5" in Schwarz's plans.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Phil

Great looking bench - has to be a user for sure. Did you use the Benchcrafted plans?
    David

Very handsome tool there Clint. What is the rounded mortise at the top of the right leg for?

Clint,

Beautiful job, very nice bench. Now you get to enjoy using it.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Beautiful bench Clint. In the process of a bench build myself albeit a bit less exotic on the wood or hardware. What are the final dimensions...particularly the legs...doesn't look like the 5"x5" in Schwarz's plans.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Phil
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Great looking bench - has to be a user for sure. Did you use the Benchcrafted plans?
    I purchased and used the Benchcrafted plans.

I made my bench 5" longer than the size listed on the blueprint, maximizing the length of the lumber I was able to source. The bench as built is 92" long. I also made it taller than the plan at 39", adding four inches of height, to accommodate my height (6' 5"). The front to back dimension follows the plan, which allows one to run the individual top sections through a 12" planer. (And in my case, I was able to joint the top as well on my A3-31.��)

I I forgot the height differential when I drilled the hole in the front right leg that allows you to push the first dog up. My oversized hole, however, makes it a bit easier to access the dog for raising.

The legs are made with doubled up 8/4 lumber ending up 3-1/2" thick. The plans have you make them 5-3/8" wide to compensate for the legs being less thick than the original Roubo. They're plenty stout, even with this slightly smaller size.

Clint

Very sweet looking!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

That's a fine looking bench I like it!