Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An easy upgrade for Harbor Freight bar clamps

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I haven't used one in 10 years; maybe they have improved them. My problem was that the aluminum just tore out if you put any pressure on them.
    Wade have you tried the actual Dubuque Clamp works brand?

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/uniclamps.htm and also sold through Lee Valley, Tools for Working Wood, and Woodcraft

http://www.thonline.com/news/busines...8a63cff52.html

This modification works wonders, but I found out about the original Dubuqe Clamp Works/Universal Bar Clamp brand when Lee Valley started selling them and haven't looked back ever since. I called and spoke to the guy in the article who owns the company and he said as soon as his patent ran out, the Chinese companies came in and started copying his design with "crappy material" and "thin walled" aluminum. These clamps are not terribly more expensive, either.

The original clamp is DRASTICALLY better, even Paul Sellers feels the same way as me about these original Dubuque clamp works/Universal Bar clamp design, then anything out there (Rockler brand, PeachTree Woodworking brand, Harbor Freight, etc), however, if you can't afford to pay for these, Marty did an excellent job in this video.
    Last edited by Mike Tekin; 09-23-2015 at 10:18 AM.

Very nice! Thank you!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Guess low torsional/twisting stiffness and also much reduced bending stiffness is always going to be an issue with an open sided channel - especially in aluminium. It's not a good situation in which to skimp on the thickness of the material if that's what the clones are doing.

Against that there's got to be lots of situations where a light weight bar clamp is very nice to have for its ease of handling….

Dubuque clamps are worth every cent. Strong, light weight and nade in USA. I have sold all my imported clones (25 of various lengths) once tried a set of 4 of the Dubuque. Now I have two sets. I would have skipped my lunch for a couple of weeks to save money to buy one more set if I had to. Luckily, woodworking is a hobby and I have toy money for any tools I want.

Simon

I have a few of those clamps and did this modification myself. I haven't put the clamps through the wringer but after a year or so they're holding up just fine and function well enough for me. If I weren't on a budget I certainly would spend the money on pricier clamps like the aluminum bar clamps sold through Tools For Working Wood but let's be real--who isn't on a budget here?

The only issue with the cheap clamps, as mentioned, is that the head can rip out of the aluminum bar if you really tighten the hell out of it. So far I haven't felt the need to do that. So, in my professional high-brau opinion, the HF clamps with this modification are sufficient and a good deal.

Blog Entries
    I know this is an old thread, but I am looking to build out my clamp collection a bit... lots of pipe clamps on hand, but often too heavy and bulky for the work I'm doing. And due to multiple other shop improvements lately, my budget is stretched (so I'm considering some HF clamps for today, and perhaps nicer clamps someday in the future).

Found this thread,thought the video in the first post was nicely done, and figured some others might benefit from bumping this one back to top.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Thanks for bringing it back up. Another chance to point out the original Universal brand aluminum bar clamps are still made in Iowa by Dubuque Clamp Works.

The modification probably solves the flexing in the Chinese knock-offs, but does nothing for the poor fastening of the head to the weakened bar, the smaller divots the movable jaw uses, or the poorly finished threads that require more effort to tighten the clamps, using the shrunken, less comfortable handle.

And the wood adds more weight than the stronger aluminum they took out.

For a more expensive (but better) bargain, we can keep a good, American small business & manufacturer in business.

Dubuque also makes Mirro-Moose wooden handscrew clamps, and cam-style F-clamps. They also offer the metal hardware kits for making your own custom wooden handscrew clamps.

Andy - Arlington TX

Blog Entries
    Thanks Andy! LOL. I’m definitely not interested in soap box discussions of where people should spend their money. A guys posted a well done video on how to achieve good results for a low price. That’s helpful to me at this time so I’m not going to feel bad about it.
    Last edited by Bob Riefer; 03-12-2020 at 11:07 PM.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Must...
    Resist...
    Free market...
    Economics...
    Discussion.

10. Fwiw, I have been using a few of these modified clamps for a few years now and they have worked well for me. I consider them a light to medium duty clamp and in that usage they are strong enough. If I need more clamping force i either use heavier duty clamps or if just a little more pressure is needed I might just use more clamps.

I have not felt the need to add pads for the jaws. Much of the time I don't bother since clamping force is low, but if I need to pad the jaw I use a scrap of wood. Rather than spend on jaw pads I'd consider just using some double stick tape or contact cement to glue on some scrap 1/8 ply if I were to bother adding anything.

I don't do big heavy glue ups though, my work is mostly lighter duty, so YMMV.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I am looking to build out my clamp collection a bit...
    I did something similar. I made the fit snug enough to where you had to tap the wood home. You know those long, thin strips you get when ripping boards to width? I just laminated up blanks out of that scrap and milled to shape.

HF bar clamp fix (3).jpg . HF bar clamp fix (2).jpg

HF bar clamp fix (1).jpg . HF bar clamp fix (4).jpg

I will say that I use this sort of clamp, probably the least of any but, others favor them; we're all different. As mentioned, the Dubuques are very nice. So are Bessey parallel clamps. Both come with a price point. The HF aluminum clamps work fine for well fitting panels or joints. You will not be forcing anything together with them but, you shouldn't have to do that anyway ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler