View Poll Results: Do you sticker you kiln dried lumber when you bring home from the saw mill?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 35.00%
  • No

39 65.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You sticker your kiln dried lumber?

Do You sticker your kiln dried lumber?

Do you sticker your kiln dried lumber when you bring it home from the saw mill?

I do but an wondering if it is necessary?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

George, your post is a little confusing - in my mind sawmill lumber is green lumber

I think it's pretty clear he's asking about kiln dried lumber.

I don't sticker it, but maybe I should? I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    George, your post is a little confusing - in my mind sawmill lumber is green lumber
    What do you call the place that cuts the lumber and kiln dries it? Baird Bros Sawmill in Canfield Ohio sells S4S lumber, moldings, plywood and still calls itself a sawmill. Yoder Lumber cuts logs, kiln dries it and calls itself a lumber place. To make it more confusing Yoder has started selling S4S lumber, moldings, and custom mill work but was primarily a sawmill selling kiln dried and green lumber until a few months ago.

Terms can be confusing. As a hobbiest woodworker I would have no use for green lumber.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I only sticker wood I am air drying,if it's kiln dried,I don't bother with stickers.

I only sticker the bottom board from the floor in my basement. My basement is very dry (no dampness at all).. the floor is still bare concrete and could still impart more moisture to the bottom of the board. My boards are very much the same as the day I bought them from my sawmill guy, so this works for me.

Nope, no reason to sticker dried lumber.

JeffD

No, don't sticker kiln dried lumber. Flat stack it tight and tidy. This prevents moisture absorption from the air unless your stacking environment is climate controlled. If it is climate controlled, stickering the boards adds no value. If your storage area is not climate controlled, and if you sticker, your "kiln dried" lumber will become "air dried" lumber as it will pick up moisture from the air.

I sticker lumber when I bring it home, but I use 1/2" square dry pine stickers. I ran into two issues in the past. The first was mildew/mold forming on the boards. The second was severe checking. I (and we, here at SMC) attributed the problem to high surface moisture picked up while waiting in the stacks at the yard after being kiln dried. To ensure the extra moisture is not trapped and to allow the lumber to acclimatize in the shop I sticker it with the pine stickers. It stays stickered until I use some or any of the lumber, or otherwise mess with the stack.

Why wouldn't you sticker the wood? Even if kiln dried to whatever moisture content it was at the mill, the atmosphere in your shop is almost certainly at a different MC. The wood will gain or lose moisture upon entry to its new environment. Wouldn't you want it to take on the moisture equally from both faces? What am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Fails View Post
    Why wouldn't you sticker the wood? Even if kiln dried to whatever moisture content it was at the mill, the atmosphere in your shop is almost certainly at a different MC. The wood will gain or lose moisture upon entry to its new environment. Wouldn't you want it to take on the moisture equally from both faces? What am I missing here?
    I don't think it will make any difference whether you sticker kiln dried lumber,because it's already thouroughly dry,unlike green/air dried lumber that needs sufficient air flow to dry.

I don't sticker lumber I bring home for my wood monger.Its too much work for little insurance.But i do sticker parts after I start working with them.Esp parts for table tops,Drawer sides,Door parts that I need to behave I might joint and plane twice before I use.

A "weak" yes to sticker kiln dried lumber. Lumber is brought in for a new project and is cut oversized 1/4" width and thickness. Stickered and allowed to acclimated in shop for at least a few days before machined to actual dimensions.

I dunno about kiln-dried.

However, a while back I stacked some Cherry that had been air-dried for over a year. I didn't sticker it, and it overhang the end-supports by maybe 3' on each side. To my surprise & regret, it curved downward a little (maybe 1" total) over the next few years, without my noticing until it was too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    To ensure the extra moisture is not trapped and to allow the lumber to acclimatize in the shop I sticker it with the pine stickers. It stays stickered until I use some or any of the lumber, or otherwise mess with the stack.
    +1. Me too. I will sticker the stack to acclimatize. But since I'm at best lately just an occasional hobbyist, it may be on stickers for a long time. I have a stack of wide cherry that has been sitting on stickers for 3+ years... But it's time is coming..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher