Thread: Problem with old Bessey K Body Clamps

Problem with old Bessey K Body Clamps

I picked up some (7) old Bessey K Body clamps a while back on Craigslist. Some of them seem stiff to adjust and I was wondering if and where I should lubricate them (and where not) and with what. One of them doesn't lock when I push the handle towards the bar. I see a hex set screw on the body next to the bar. I assume it needs to be adjusted or replaced? None of my Allen wrenches fit so I assume it is probably metric. Anyone know what size it is? As I said these are the old ones made in W Germany so I'm guessing from the 70's or 80's.

Blog Entries
    Clean and dry is preferred to lubricant. The screw can be rotated a few degrees to present new threads if it has been abused. I don't recall the size but will check when I get to the shop . . .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-22-2015 at 4:25 PM. Reason: sp
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn, others (on another forum) have suggested silicone spray lubricant and removing dried glue (which I have done) but still need the screw size so I can adjust it. Appreciate your help.
    Doug

Definitely metric, probably 4mm if I had to guess from memory.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Definitely metric, probably 4mm if I had to guess from memory.
    We have the same recollection but, I just checked and it is 3mm.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-22-2015 at 4:30 PM.

– Samuel Butler

Be careful with silicone spray. If any of it ever gets onto your wood you will suffer from fish eyes in the finish of your project made from this wood, and it can never seem to be completely removed from the wood once it's there. I have banned anything containing silicone from my wood shop for this reason, although I still keep some in my garage at the opposite end of my house. It's great for some things, but it should never be used in a wood shop.

Charley

Thanks for the screw size info, I'll pick up a metric 3mm wrench and try it. I'll be careful with the silicone, I've got some synthetic spray lubricant that doesn't contain silicone, I'll try that instead of silicone spray.

I've used Johnson's paste wax on these. It keeps them free moving and helps with glue removal. I think it was the Wood Whisperer that I first heard the idea.

Interesting, do you just coat the sides of the bar? With a spray lubricant I can see spraying the mechanism.

Just the bar, on all sides (the serrated edges too).

Just thought I'd give an update. I picked up a set of metric Allen wrenches and the 3 mm fit. I adjusted the one that was slipping and sprayed them all with a non-silicone spray. They all work fine now, thanks for the help.

Blog Entries
    Excellent!

– Samuel Butler