Thread: Anyone ever used a panel raising plane?

Anyone ever used a panel raising plane?

Not that you can still buy them.
    I'm not sure if these work with anything other than green wood.

I'm sure Philly Planes will make you a panel raiser, perhaps Old Street as well (if / when they take new orders). Vintage panel raisers are still out there but tend to be a bit pricey. I have a couple different sizes / profiles that all see some, though not regular, use.

They work dry stock. Green panel stock would be a bad idea.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Welcome to the forum, Dean.

I think that historically panel raising planes were made mostly for architectural wood work: wainscotting, doors, shutters, panelling and the like. These things were made on a larger volume scale than furniture. With furniture we are more likely to size the width and depth of the raising to the individual piece of furniture, so making each with fillister plane etc.

Blog Entries
    Dean, Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't indicate a location. I am always curious as to where others are located. In this case if you are in my area and would like to see how to raise a panel, send me a PM.

Panel raising planes are great if one wants to make a lot of panels that look exactly the same.

Making a raised panel without a plane specifically for the purpose is rather easy.

Here is a #6 being used to raise a panel for a cabinet made for my wife:

#6 Panel Plane?.jpg

Since then a large round bodied plane has also been used.

There is more than one way to raise a panel.

Another image was attached inadvertently.

jtk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks guys.
    I need to make 8 sets of some rather large 12' tall double raised panel front and back doors that are three inches thick.
    My wife Brandi has security issues so she asked for really thick doors.
    I do things on a larger scale than most so please be understanding so I don't have to play my "Go Big Or Go Home" card.
    It's a Texas thing.

Dan Schwank makes panel raising planes:
    http://redrosereproductions.com/tools/
    I've never used one of his planes, but he's a very nice guy.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Van Dolsen View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I need to make 8 sets of some rather large 12' tall double raised panel front and back doors that are three inches thick.
    My wife Brandi has security issues so she asked for really thick doors.
    What's the saying? "Everything is bigger in Texas."

From my point of view this comes down to a few questions.

Are you set on going with a panel raising plane or would other methods be considered?

What tools and experience is our starting point?

Have you given thought to the profile of your raised panel?

What choices do you have for the lumber?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Forgot to ask, since you are making doors, will you be doing work in the rest of the house and want similar panels or molding?

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Dan Schwank makes panel raising planes:
    http://redrosereproductions.com/tools/
    I've never used one of his planes, but he's a very nice guy.
    Thanks Steve. Yea I was afraid the panel raising plane might only make a cabinet door size profile.

I guess I'll be off looking at a couple Powermatic Shapers and a Powermatic Tenoning machine http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?ID=2754

Thanks for all the help guys.
    I do things on a larger scale than most so please be understanding so I don't have to play my "Go Big Or Go Home" card.
    It's a Texas thing.

Thanks a bunch Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    What's the saying? "Everything is bigger in Texas."

From my point of view this comes down to a few questions.

Are you set on going with a panel raising plane or would other methods be considered? No sir

What tools and experience is our starting point? Extensive

Have you given thought to the profile of your raised panel? I'm open to options

What choices do you have for the lumber? Red Oak, White Oak, Maple

jtk
    It's a Texas thing.

It's a Texas thing.

I have a biggun'

I've only used it for one project, so I'm no expert. I found it very convenient, in that the angle stays consistent. Also the extra weight seems good for making a broad, continuous stroke, much like the difference between a large & small shooting plane.

However, it's also quite a beast to hold & carry around. I've seen videos of guys using jack planes & such, with a stand-off piece to create the angle, and that seems like it might actually be easier for a small project. Hard to say.

One thing for sure, if I used a regular plane, I'd want to have one with a skewed blade, if possible.

One trick the old timers would use on the thicker doors.....the raised panels were out of two panels. One could either match the inside and outside panels, or have the inside a totally different type. They weren't glued together, either. You can have a fancier raised profile on the outside, and a simple beveled one on the inside.

Sometimes you will see a "medallion" of sorts, centered in each panel. Tends to help control the "rattles" that way. About like the ones on a saw, just more sized to the door. Maybe a family crest in them.