Thread: Any way to get the waste wood out first?

Any way to get the waste wood out first?

I am making something to hold an iced tea decanter. It is basically a 10" diameter plate, 1.5" thick. The center portion will be reduced to 0.5", with a 0.25" rim around. Some maybe a really short bowl rather than a plate. That is a lot of wood to remove. I frequently use a forstner bit to remove wood before I take a gouge to the inside of a bowl; perhaps there is something similar here? Any ideas? Maybe something with a router? Anyone lend me a 9.5" forstner bit?

Maybe I'm missing something here - but a bowl gouge or a scraper (if you're Reed Gray ) will remove all of the wood inside your "shallow bowl" or "deep platter" in a matter of minutes.

In fact - it would be quicker to just turn it out than it would be to set up a drill with a forstner bit, then switch to gouges.

3. I agree with Shawn.......if you are going to turn something anyway, something like you describe can be done in a couple of minutes with a bowl gouge and if you want straight edges on the inside edge of your bead, then use a square scraper. Seems like all the setup with a forstner bit or router would be wasting a lot of time.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Did you want to save the wood? You could core it out, but I agree with the above. Just takes me a minute with a 5/8 gouge to get that waste wood out. Coring takes longer.

On plates I use an almost square scraper - very slight convex arc. I make sure it is freshly sharpened and then use a diamond hone if it is on a wood prone to tear out. It takes about a minute to remove the bulk of the wood and the rest of the time is fine-tuning the surface.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

To me, that is the funnest part of turning - making the big curlies and getting knee-deep in fluffy wood. It is also when you test your technique and tooling.

Yea, like others have said, much easier to turn it out than it is to drill it out. Well, unless you don't know how to keep your tools sharp.

robo hippy

You mean something like these ??

I use a bowl gouge and maybe a scraper to finesse, a skew for the lines in the square platter, but yes basically all you need is a bowl gouge and sand to smooth.

Maple platter.jpg Ash platter.jpg
    Have fun and take care