Thread: #3 segmented turning

#3 segmented turning

Budinga and Hard Maple. 11 x 4", WTF. Inspiration from Malcolm Tibbetts. Should have made the third ring down solid maple or bubinga. Live and learn. Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    C&C WELCOME

When you do segmented bowls, do you use a table saw to cut the 22.5 degree pieces, then glue up?
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

That's a beautiful piece, Allan. I see what you're saying about the 3rd ring down... depends on your perspective. It definitely gives it a sense of 'motion' as-is, and almost feels like a test to your senses.

What's the finish?

GF wood turners finish. There are 16 segments per ring = 11.25 degrees. I use a sled jig on the table saw with a dedicated blade.
    C&C WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ferguson View Post
    GF wood turners finish. There are 16 segments per ring = 11.25 degrees. I use a sled jig on the table saw with a dedicated blade.
    Included angle would be 22.5 degrees. Correct? Fine ripping blade?

Mark, if you are building with 8 segments, each angle would be cut a 22.5 degrees. I work with 16 segments, hence 11.25 degrees of angle.
    The angles are cross cuts. Recommend the book The Art of Segmented Wood Turning by Malcolm Tibbetts. Your welcome to come on over, but it is a long drive. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Not sure I understand, but 360 degrees divided by 16 = 22.5 degrees. 11.25 degrees would be from centerline of pie shaped point to each side.

16-piece pie.JPG

Each cut at 11.25 degrees off of sq gives you 16 segments to form each ring. There are two cuts per joint.
    C&C WELCOME

Set your saw at 11.25 (miter) try cutting 16 pieces, you should end up with a ring. joints maybe sloppy but you will get the idea.
    C&C WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Not sure I understand, but 360 degrees divided by 16 = 22.5 degrees. 11.25 degrees would be from centerline of pie shaped point to each side.

16-piece pie.JPG
    Mark, it seems right, I know. But if you look at your drawing again you'll see that your segment has a "total" angle of 22.5 - but you'll also see that the segment is made up of two equal cuts. That's where Alan is getting 11.25.

In the world of segmented turning you need to replace the more familiar 360 degrees with 180 degrees. That being said, the cutting angle for a 12 segment ring is 15 degrees, 18 segments = 10 degree cuts, etc., etc.

Hope this helps?

Ken

Mark, I have used the miter saw and and table saw, both finely tuned and got perfect results. However I ran across the segeasy sled. I made one, finely tuned it, and get perfect results at all angle cuts having made my own wedgies. I feel that the segeasy is just more simple of the three methods.

I like the looks of that vessel. I agree I might try something different with #3 ring color but it looks good.

Jimmy thanks for the mention of the segeasy! I have only recently started turning segmented turning and find that accurately cutting miters has been a challenge for me. I googled this segeasy and plan on making an adjustable sled before my next segmented turning! I think I will purchase the wedgies for it because I am horrible at accurately cutting things like that. Many thanks.

Buying the wedgies are a good inves.tment. Dead on accuracy.