Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Glowforge launched today

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Not really, if there had been an announcement in the Journal Of Optical Physics or from MIT etc then I'd be interested. There was a massive outcry a couple of years ago when MIT announced they had produced a beam of a narrower diameter than the wavelength produced. As evolution it was like hearing about man's first powered flight or the moon missions first landing.
    Given that nothing in the scientific community has suddenly caused such an outcry or has people like Sam Goldwasser or Shaol Ezikiel all in a huffle then there's a pretty good chance it's just hype

The statement "the TEM00 tube", Transverse Mode is a description of a wavefront, not a type of tube, when this revolutionary company who is going to spell the end of expensive lasers cannot even get the use of it's technical claims correct I don't think I'll be asking them pretty much anything anytime soon

It's akin to saying "We have designed quantum dinosaurs" (because the word quantum sounds all science like and most people don't realise it's actually a theory of sub atomic physics and nothing more)
    Fair enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    I believe one of your "thoughts" and "opinion" was that this machine offered nothing new over a K40. I hope you are finally able to back those up with some facts. I would also be interested in how the software is "needlessly" complicated when it appears the opposite.
    I learned early on you have a habit of purposefully acting obtuse, Matt, particularly when analogies are offered, and that's a dog that will no longer hunt. I will simply refer you instead to my initial comment:
    The majority of the hardware itself is little more than a repackaged Chinese K40.
    Chinese tube, Chinese power supply, etc. etc. The biggest differentiator to most Chinese systems is what color the metal was painted. In this case, the metal is plastic.

You, on the other hand, fail to offer any "facts" to the contrary. What's a logical person to do...

And if you have forgotten my thoughts on the software, I'll point you to the original thread you started on this. I went round and round with you there, so I won't be sucked in a second time here.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Like I said I am more curious as to who is responsible when the machines camera misplaces the engraving onto someones 2000 laptop.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scira View Post
    Like I said I am more curious as to who is responsible when the machines camera misplaces the engraving onto someones 2000 laptop.
    whoever presses the "GO" button,
    Some of the rubbish that's spouted by the CEO on his videos is amazing "Lasers haven't changed since the 80's" really. Cloud software is just hype, there is no cloud, its not real, just a marketing term that means your software is just running on someone else's computer. The camera is neat, we have a fully calibrated camera on our galvo systems, only had for erm about 10 years, accurate to within .1mm so nothing new for us here. This will be sold to people that 'don't know much about lasers' but 'a fool and his money' and all that,
    When i first saw this i got all excited and thought maybe someone had invested $$$$ and produced a really smart machine with a ceramic tube and servo motors for a bargin price, a real game changer, but instead its just a el cheapo chinese lasers in a plastic box and some new software.
    move along, nothing to see here !!
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

So which on would you buy if you had to choose.

So if you had to absolutely choose between The Glowforge and the FullSpectrum Entry laser which one would you get. And those were your only choices!!
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

you all know how I feel about FSL but they have a machine that they can deliver. does glowforge? its in a metal case. If I had to have a laser and these were the only 2 choices well I guess i'd get the FSL.
    Now remember he said absolutely had to have a laser and these were the only 2 God help me, I don't believe I said that

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    So if you had to absolutely choose between The Glowforge and the FullSpectrum Entry laser which one would you get. And those were your only choices!!
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

There is always a third choice - run away screaming! You couldn't force either of those "lasers" on me...

The FSL if I really had to, it's archaic overhyped ,overpriced junk imho but at least it's metal and I know what I can do with it from a base point.
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by matthew knott View Post
    whoever presses the "GO" button,
    Yes that is true in our case. But in Glowforges case. The marketing clearly shows how easy it is to engrave a laptop perfectly aligned. When that does not happen and the customer calls Glowforge and they say they did exactly like they were shown and the machine messed it up.

There is a difference between a Epilog where there is a learning curve and is used for business. Versus glowforge that is marketed as look at all this stuff you can do and look how easy it is.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

Gary that choice wasn't givin, If It was I would run too

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    There is always a third choice - run away screaming! You couldn't force either of those "lasers" on me...
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

This is all too funny.

some quick stats:

Those who know everything there is to know about the new Glowforge laser: 12,944 (just a wild guess )

Those who know everything there is to know about the new Glowforge laser that have actually used one: 0

It may well be a piece of crap. But I don't know. But this sure is entertaining reading!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I learned early on you have a habit of purposefully acting obtuse, Matt, particularly when analogies are offered, and that's a dog that will no longer hunt. I will simply refer you instead to my initial comment:
    That's a lot of words (once again) to say that you got nothing. I believe that I have posted only things that are known as factual (with links) or countered goofy speculation that the launch has enlightened. I encourage you to do the same in your posts instead of the analogies that you seem to be so proud of. Perhaps, they are not as clever as you think they are.

Chinese tube, Chinese power supply, etc. etc. The biggest differentiator to most Chinese systems is what color the metal was painted. In this case, the metal is plastic.
    I'll still wait for that link to a K40 machine, with the features and tech of the Glowforge, at its price point. I'm patient, but I won't hold my breath.

You, on the other hand, fail to offer any "facts" to the contrary. What's a logical person to do...
    What facts would you like? How can I help?

And if you have forgotten my thoughts on the software, I'll point you to the original thread you started on this. I went round and round with you there, so I won't be sucked in a second time here.
    Yes, I believe you imagined a scenario of subscription-based software to use the laser. Please remind me of the other unfounded prognostications that you got wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    This is all too funny.

some quick stats:

Those who know everything there is to know about the new Glowforge laser: 12,944 (just a wild guess )

Those who know everything there is to know about the new Glowforge laser that have actually used one: 0

It may well be a piece of crap. But I don't know. But this sure is entertaining reading!
    I don't know anything about the machines Kev but given that some of their claims can be shown to be absolute tosh that leads me to think that more than just the one's we know are tosh maybe also. Simple cost over claim if it really is as good and does everything that is claimed then it wouldn't be $2,000.

Be a bit like me trying to sell you a 355 GTS Ferrari for $500 brand new.....it's either stolen or it's not a Ferrari
    You did what !

I think this thread went off the rails. They haven't shipped yet and every assumption is failure and the death of unsupervised children using "overly complicated" software... Yeash.

Lots of assumptions that software features won't work ("first iPad that doesn't line up")... You do know that optical position tracking can keep a quadcopter perfectly positioned, you think it's really that hard to position a laser head and rotate an image to align correctly?

Lots of anger at the marketing. This company has investments from some very heavy hitters in the VC world, do you think they werent asking about safety before investing millions of dollars? There is one most important step in selling a consumer product: 1: BUILD A GOOD PRODUCT. It's very clear to all of you why glowforge is bad, but the people who want this product want it for very different reasons than you do. This product fills a huge need for users who want to make cool stuff and can't afford 20k or more to do it, are intimidated by hard to use software, or don't have any intention of starting a big businesss.

Lots of assumptions about the cloud (which according to some of you isn't a "real thing"). You do know that most of the largest companies in the world run nearly entirely cloud-based? How many times has you laser computer broken or gone down with a software update or virus? Mismatched or conflicting DLLs? Machine got old and now it's a long time to process and send a file to your machine? You don't really think that "the Google" is a single computer that you connect to do you?

Lots of fear of the unknown. Maybe before making declarations because "you know" you should wait and see? Because sawmill creek has always been welcoming of new users, and you can expect many new glowforge users looking for insight. It'd be pretty sad if fear and product prejudice turned this community into a haven of curmudgeons screaming "y'all youngsters ain't know nuthin' bout no laserin'! Get off my lawn!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    They haven't shipped yet and every assumption is failure...
    Except of course for the people who are assuming that everything will work out fine and we'll all walk together into a rosy Glowforge future. The part that amazes me is that people who already own perfectly serviceable lasers and are using them successfully, are oohing and aahing about an as-yet nonexistent product that is pretty much irrelevant to their needs...and then get upset when anyone calls them on their wide-eyed gullibility.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.