Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Apron, Lee Valley or Duluth

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jarnell View Post
    Using that principal there would be no Toyota's or BMW's in USA.
    It is a PRICIPLE that many hold to as much as possible in this country. I'm not sure what your point is, if there is one, so I'l explain why I posted what I did. Duluth, named for a city in this country and founded in this country, sells about 2% American made product in their catalog. Their catalog apears to have great stuff if you get by the fact that so much is foreign made. I would prefer to see catalogs selling wares made in the US, or at least North America. One can not even tell where Duluth IMPORTS from. It was my thought that perhaps the OP might feel similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    It is a PRICIPLE that many hold to as much as possible in this country. I'm not sure what your point is, if there is one, so I'l explain why I posted what I did. Duluth, named for a city in this country and founded in this country, sells about 2% American made product in their catalog. Their catalog apears to have great stuff if you get by the fact that so much is foreign made. I would prefer to see catalogs selling wares made in the US, or at least North America. One can not even tell where Duluth IMPORTS from. It was my thought that perhaps the OP might feel similarly.
    Yes sorry about spelling,I must check b4 I send.

My point is, that the world revolves round trade and as I say the world and USA would be poorer for it if this were not the case.

It is your big companies that have left your shores, so as to make bigger profits and pay 50 cents an hour to the chinese etc.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-28-2015 at 8:44 PM. Reason: removed political comment...not permitted at SMC
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

I like the one I got from Rockler. It is made out of Blue jean materal and very comfortable to wear.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

To get back to the Lee Valley aprons...

I'm on my third one. I have had two of the tan ones, and am currently wearing a black one at school. Observations:
    I like the tan model better because it doesn't show the dirt and sawdust as much. I still wear the last tan one at home. The side pockets on both of them are very useful and don't fill up too much with sawdust. I don't care for the covered front pockets on the black one, as I never got in the habit of using them, and it's a little difficult to dig under the top flap. My primary dislike for the black one, though, is the color. The black seems to just stay incredibly dirty with sawdust and other stuff, while it doesn't seem to show up nearly as bad on tan models. Since I'm a school shop teacher I wear the aprons quite a bit and I'm pretty hard on them. They accumulate a lot of glue and other stuff wiped on them, and I only wash them about once a year. One thing I do like about the black one is the upper pocket is divided into four sections for pencils and the like, but I use my sewing machine to subdivide each one to give me a total of eight pockets, because a shop teacher never seems to have enough pencils on him. I also do the same thing to the upper pocket on the tan ones. When I retire and work at home full time I'll probably continue to use the black one, but when I buy a replacement it'll be another tan model.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    To get back to the Lee Valley aprons...

I'm on my third one. I have had two of the tan ones, and am currently wearing a black one at school. Observations:
    I like the tan model better because it doesn't show the dirt and sawdust as much. I still wear the last tan one at home. The side pockets on both of them are very useful and don't fill up too much with sawdust. I don't care for the covered front pockets on the black one, as I never got in the habit of using them, and it's a little difficult to dig under the top flap. My primary dislike for the black one, though, is the color. The black seems to just stay incredibly dirty with sawdust and other stuff, while it doesn't seem to show up nearly as bad on tan models. Since I'm a school shop teacher I wear the aprons quite a bit and I'm pretty hard on them. They accumulate a lot of glue and other stuff wiped on them, and I only wash them about once a year. One thing I do like about the black one is the upper pocket is divided into four sections for pencils and the like, but I use my sewing machine to subdivide each one to give me a total of eight pockets, because a shop teacher never seems to have enough pencils on him. I also do the same thing to the upper pocket on the tan ones. When I retire and work at home full time I'll probably continue to use the black one, but when I buy a replacement it'll be another tan model.

Great info. THANKS!!!!!
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Yes sorry about spelling,I must check b4 I send.

My point is, that the world revolves round trade and as I say the world and USA would be poorer for it if this were not the case.

It is your big companies that have left your shores, so as to make bigger profits and pay 50 cents an hour to the chinese etc.
    You spelled the word correctly, you simply chose the wrong word. I appreciate what trade does for the world and U.S. though I, from the vantage point of sitting in the U.S., think my country would be better off manufacturing more. Along similar lines I like the notion of buying what is made in this country when possible, as many do. This discussion is about Canadian made goods, which is close enough since we consider Canada to be the 51st state.

Shortly after noticing how much of Duluth product is imported I walked in to an L.L. Bean retail store and was surprised to find the same. Perhaps I have been living in a dream world but I truly believed that Bean would stick with American made product. The notion of companies that establish themselves in the market and then switch their manufacturing base leaves me disgusted. Woodcraft made moves like this when I was employed with them years ago; they would work up a market for a tool and then bring in an Asian knock off, most likely at an increased profit margin. Sell the better tool...

I have the Duluth apron, and I like it. The straps distribute the weight across the shoulders, and the pockets are large and plentiful. The one I have has mesh as the bottom of the outer pockets, so that sawdust does not get caught in it, but smaller tools can be a problem. If I am putting screws in them, I keep them in a box or bag. It also has inner pockets that have flap closures for tools and other small items like dovetail markers.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    You spelled the word correctly, you simply chose the wrong word. I appreciate what trade does for the world and U.S. though I, from the vantage point of sitting in the U.S., think my country would be better off manufacturing more. Along similar lines I like the notion of buying what is made in this country when possible, as many do. This discussion is about Canadian made goods, which is close enough since we consider Canada to be the 51st state.

Shortly after noticing how much of Duluth product is imported I walked in to an L.L. Bean retail store and was surprised to find the same. Perhaps I have been living in a dream world but I truly believed that Bean would stick with American made product. The notion of companies that establish themselves in the market and then switch their manufacturing base leaves me disgusted. Woodcraft made moves like this when I was employed with them years ago; they would work up a market for a tool and then bring in an Asian knock off, most likely at an increased profit margin. Sell the better tool...
    So as not to upset Dave too much,Cabelas, LL Bean etc, as the saying goes, are there to make a profit, not to make friends.
    1% own more than the bottom 50%, that is the world we live in.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

So as not to upset Dave too much,Cabelas, LL Bean etc, as the saying goes, are there to make a profit, not to make friends.
    Of course but if they appeal to the customer, make as much of the relationship satisfy the buyer, present a favorable image in many ways, they will sell more. More profit and less advertising as damage control, see Frank and Kathy Lee Gifford, sweatshop labor.

Who is Dave?