Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wood gutters

wood gutters

This is not entirely a handtool project but at 160 lf I may be crazy but I'm not insane. The inside radius of the gutter is 2" and the largest cutter anyone would make is 1 1/4". I hogged out 1" on the shaper then a series of rabbets using a electric router but the remaining was done with a #18 round. It still took 2 days to do... Then came the face profile. I cut a wedge off with the tablesaw but the rest was done by hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Appears that I can only load 2 pics
    Last edited by Keith Mathewson; 09-25-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Mathewson View Post
    Appears that I can only load 2 pics
    Keith, you should be able to load up to 8 pics per post.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Keith, you should be able to load up to 8 pics per post.
    The software only allows two to be selected at a time. After they are uploaded you can select two more to upload. Repeat four times for a total of eight.

Nice looking gutter by the way. Hope to see when you finish the outside.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-26-2015 at 1:31 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim, I should've pointed that out.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nicely done...love the creative solution. Curious to hear more on the project. Where is it going, what wood are you using, how will you finish it?
    Thanks for posting!

Very nicely done Keith.
    Looking forward as well.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Nicely done...love the creative solution. Curious to hear more on the project. Where is it going, what wood are you using, how will you finish it?
    Thanks for posting!
    +1. I don't think I've seen wooden gutter used on a "modern" home, but yours look great and I'd also like to see/read/hear more.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I just now noticed the profile drawn for the front. It's nice. I'm guessing it will go on a shed or play house, please show us the completeand installed project.

Some might be inclined to call it a shed and at the moment for me it is a bit of a playhouse, but it is a rental house I have that I'm remodeling. It's a small house that was built in 1941. The reason for the gutters is two fold. Nearly every house has the same gutters which I don't want to use and it has a hip roof which meets the siding. I wanted to give some projection and try to tie the new windows in with the facia to create an entablature. It isn't going to be quite what I would have hoped for design wise but I'm dealing with what I have to work with.
    Last edited by Keith Mathewson; 09-26-2015 at 3:07 PM.

There will be a moulding between the upper facia and the lower facia. Here are some pics of the window crown and the new garage doors.

Nice work!

I dare say it will stand out and become a local favorite. A treatment more whimsical than based on formal precedents is exactly what it needs .

Beautiful work! I hope your renters appreciate it and take good care of it.

Keith, if you are not using cypress, I recommend using a very heavy primer, and then a polymerized paint for the water bearing surfaces of those nicely made gutters.
    Maurice