Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best jigsaw - for under $200?

Best jigsaw - for under $200?

I'm in the market for a new jigsaw to replace my GMC.
    The GMC is ok - but - it's a low end saw that makes wiggle cuts.

Used is out since I need the saw pretty quick and can't wait for a deal to pop up on a Bosch 1590 - or whatever the number is that everyone says was the best.
    The new Bosch lineup is a mess of confusion. The reviews are all over the place for anything but the real expensive top end - and even that gets mixed feedback.
    I'm not ready to drop $250 on something "questionable".

I just want something I can use that won't break the bank - but - something that can still cut a straight line.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

There are probably several that would be a step up from what you are using now. The problem I have had with mid range jigsaws like the Dewalt is the blade deflection. I got pretty good at making the cut from both sides. Better blades (Festool, Bosch) helped, but still could not get the cut quality I needed. I finally picked up the Carvex a few years ago. Blows the mid range saws away. I had the Carvex on a job with one of the higher end Bosch saws and the Bosch was comparable. The Dewalt and other mid range saws I have used are fine for construction tasks or cuts in thin/soft wood, but not finish work in thick or hard woods.

How about a lightly used Bosch 1590? You can find them on ebay, cl, and pawn shops. Thats what i did. I hav seen a few NOS for Round the $200 range.

Blog Entries
    I use the Bosch jigsaws most the time but once in awhile I'll pull out the Porter-Cable 7549. It works ok as well. A jigsaw isn't a construction tool, but a tool to get close on radius work,etc.

Best??? You really mean junk versus better.

I paid $150 For a Bosch JS470eb a few years ago. It is a "re-furbished " tool. It works well for me and has tool less quick and easy blade changing. It is pretty heavy though.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I have the Bosch 1590 EVSL. I think is a great jig saw. Little if any blade deflection.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Bosch has cornered the market, my JS 470E made in Switzerland, a perfect tool.

George,
    The 1590 is no more.
    The 572 "replaced" it.
    The 572 is like $300 - plus - it has real mixed reviews.

I think I'll try the 470.
    Amazon has a barrel grip JS 470 EB for $139
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

The 572 may have mixed reviews but the 470 has lousy ones.

They came out with the JS470 but left the 1590/91 as the high end and they increased the 1590 price to around $230 but did ship them with the dust collection attachment.

I think the JS470 was originally made in Switzerland but then moved to China.

Finally the JS572 came out and actually replaced the 1590/1591. The Borgs were trying to say the JS470 was the replacement. I've handled a JS572 and it looks nice. I've not used one.

Pat is the only one I've heard say anything good about the JS470 but maybe the Swiss ones were much better than the Chinese. Regardless they don't have the additional support that keeps the blade straight on the 1590/91 and Festool 300.

I think the JS470 was originally made in Switzerland but then moved to China
    The 470 (according to Bosch) is still Swiss made.

The 572 and the 470 both have about the same overall review ratings on Amazon (80% and 77%).
    The much missed 1590/1591 had a nearly 100% positive rating **sigh**...oh well, can't go back in time.

I'll have to just trust Pat I guess. He's helped me out a lot in the past & been spot on.
    I hope that holds out for this !

If my current Bosch jigsaw broke, the JS470 would be what I would get. The blower doesn't work now but as long as that is the only issue, I will keep using it. I also use a Ryobi cordless sometimes but there is a huge difference in the cut quality and smoothness of operation. I have the aluminum table to turn it into something like a scrollsaw. It has it's own hand made case that also holds the table. Very handy. If I had to choose between a circular saw and a jigsaw for one handheld, I would choose the jigsaw. But I hope I never have to give up either (since I have two of each currently, plus a tracksaw).

I own a hand full of the older Bosch 1587's. They are work horses in our shop. My son has a DeWalt, and borrows my Bosch, go figure. If they ever fail, and can't be repaired, I will buy another saw with the name Bosch on it. Around here, in pawn shops, 1587's sell for $50 - $75 depending upon condition and extras.

1590/91 is a big upgrade from the 1587 in features and cut quality but not build quality. Reliability is better as the 1587 always fails on blade change mechanism, frequently by operator error.
    1590/91 has a better blade change mechanism and the extra guides that give it the better blade tracking. Also has the dust collection option.

The JS470 that I looked at was definitely made in China. I was examining it with Bosch reps at a Bosch event and we were talking about mistakes Bosch was making. This was long ago, while the 1590/91 was still the next step up so 3+ years ago. If they are now all made in Switzerland, then they went back to making them in Switzerland, perhaps to keep the production line working after the 1590/1591 was discontinued.

I'm curious how the JS470 works as I'm keeping 4 extra new 1590s on hand just in case.

I have had a Bosch 1591 (Barrel Grip) for about 6 years now and hate it. I have used trigger pull saws all my life and can not get used to the switch on the side of the 1591 body. The blade change is also a hassle. I wish I had gone for a 1590 top handle jig saw instead of the 1591 barrel grip.

I'm also happy with my Bosch 1587 variable speed. No blade deflection but blade changes can be hard to get used to.
    Milwaukee may be another brand to look at.
    To keep the cost down you could look at used or consider reconditioned/refurbished. I've picked up several step-up tools this way and had no issues. CPO is one source I've had good luck with.