Thread: Mitre Shooting Plane

Mitre Shooting Plane

What makes this just a mitre plane and different from a straight shooting plane

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...08&cat=51&ap=1
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I am sure somebody will be along soon who owns one and can answer your question, but it was discussed a little recently in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...as-Miter-Plane

NIck

shootingplanesmall.jpgI own hundreds of planes, including molding planes. The shooting plane the only "new" plane I own. It works fantastically. Probably the only reasons to really justify this one over a LN or an antique Stanley is lower price and repeatability of reinstalling the iron after sharpening. The set screws that position the iron allow the iron to go right back to the exact place you took it out from to sharpen it. Having one that works in a track makes it foolproof and easy to use. You don't need to buy the tracks. A shooting board is really easy to make.

I used mine for putting in hundreds of inlays in a floor. I wouldn't have wanted to do that job without it. After many repetitions, my hand started using the hump in the back instead of the tote. Now, the tote just gets used for toting it. You might see a thumb smudge in the picture from my hand position. Like new finish after sitting out for many months thanks to CRC 3.36

I made this board out of Corian, but have wondered why I bothered. One out of plywood works just as good.

I must not have been awake good when I first posted this. I completely missed the question, and had not seen that plane before. That thing looks like a rebel without a cause. My shooting plane does miters just fine. I have no place for that plane. I'll take one that runs in a track for any such use.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-27-2015 at 3:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    It may be a distinction only needed by the catalog producers.

Two shooting planes? Most will pick one or the other.

A shooting plane and a mitre plane, better get both.

My shooting plane can work a mitre or a miter no matter. Sometimes a #65 block plane is used.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...08&cat=51&ap=1
    The mitre plane is shorter. Mitre plane is 10" long, the shooting plane is 16" long. It comes down to what you are going to use it for. There is only a $20 difference between the two planes. To me the shooting plane is the better plane for the money, for the home shop. If you were moving from one job site to another, installing moldings the mitre plane might be better. I see no need to have both. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    I am sure somebody will be along soon who owns one and can answer your question, but it was discussed a little recently in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...as-Miter-Plane

NIck
    I did look before posting but obviously not well enough.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

The biggest advantage of the Mitre Plane is that it will shoot both left handed and right.

This means you can set-up a shooting board that accommodates both ends (or adjacent ends) of a picture frame side and as long as the resulting angle is exactly 90 degrees, you'll have perfect mitred frames.

If you go the shooting plane route, then you'll be either coughing for the other handed version or using a normal bench plane for the complementary shoot/cut.

Hope this makes sense.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"