Thread: On the technique improvements of a more expensive lathe, and the non-end of the world

On the technique improvements of a more expensive lathe, and the non-end of the world

I am convinced that if my lathe were bigger and more expensive I would have less tear-out on my 4" poplar bowls.

And I might note that I am only able to think about this because, as far as I know, the world did not end tonight at the "Blood Moon Eclipse". So we can keep on turning.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

2. You should keep on believing that Brian...... Makes getting an upgrade more palletable!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Yes, of course. In the same way buying an expensive dovetail saw means you can now cut perfect dovetails.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

A better lathe did not make me a better turner by any means, but it let me actually turn at the competency that I have and let me develop additional competency. What I experienced was that when all of the various small (or large) things that occurred while I was turning that negatively affected my results, were removed, I found a far superior result. And during the 1.5 years I have owned my new lathe I find my technique continuing to improve.

Brian, you know that we are all one tool away from excellence, or one tool away from divorce.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I am convinced that if my lathe were bigger and more expensive I would have less tear-out on my 4" poplar bowls.

And I might note that I am only able to think about this because, as far as I know, the world did not end tonight at the "Blood Moon Eclipse". So we can keep on turning.
    And what an interesting experience it was to watch the blood moon turn red and think about what will come to pass. It wasn't last night, but at least it is one day closer! I joked with my pastor at a church picnic yesterday that that may have been the reason for the low turnout. He didn't think it was as funny as I did

Suuuuh, don't tell this guy that!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfpo3MasyKQ

That is a beautiful video, Josh. Thanks for posting it!
    John Altberg

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    Suuuuh, don't tell this guy that!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfpo3MasyKQ
    Stuff like that is simply amazing. Thanks!

Many years ago, a guy told me that it is not the tools that make the craftsman, it is the craftsman that knows how to use the tools. A true craftsman can do what he does with the tools he has. To justify new tools we rationalize to ourselves that we need that tool. He explained that need and want are the 2 things a person needs to understand. Need is you really need it, want is waste, you don't need it, you just want it. But we change our wants to needs by using rationalization to convince ourselves that we really need it.

He defined rationalization as lying to ourselves to change wants into needs.

Fantastic video, and true words, Marvin.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Remember:
    It is not the arrow. It is the Indian.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Now I gotta try set turning...

There is no substitute for skill ant talent. But it is hard to hit something with a crooked arrow or a bow that has the knock in the wrong location. There has been some pretty awesome things made with primitive tools but modern well made and designed tools makes it much nicer for the maker.