Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

28 Sep 2015

Good Morning Everyone,
    Started oncall duty this morning and my hopes is that it won't be as bad as it was last time.
    Them temps outside have cooled some and I finally chose a color to paint my guitar on my guitar project. I hope to get a lot of that done this week as I get time during my oncall duty. Spent the weekend doing stuff around the house as well as relaxing a bit Sunday afternoon. The drawing is going "ok" on the bowling alley project for the new counter space and shoe storage for the local bowling alley. We'll see how it goes this week and then I'll work on making progress as I can get it.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I started the weekend a couple of hours early on Friday and did the wiring for the blower in the new fireplace insert. This fireplace project ("new" antique mantel and a resized insert) has been dragging on really slowly as we await some parts for the fireplace and second- and third-guess our choice of tile for the surround. The wiring was the last step before having the gas company come in to fit the supply line into the new box, which will require some extra length.

On Saturday there was a final girls' softball game in the morning and a wine festival in the afternoon and evening. In between those events, helped the in-laws move a piano from one room of their house to another. We got it done in short order, in spite of there always being too many supervisors on the projects at that residence.

On Sunday there was church in the morning and some downtime in the early afternoon. I used the rest of the afternoon and evening in the shop to finish the bearing and belt replacement on my table saw. Got everything put back together and the top in place and aligned with the blade. Reattaching the wing, the extension table, and the fence rail should be an easy task this evening.
    Chuck Taylor

Made a little more progress on my coffee table. Got through the glue up and added trim banding to the lower shelf/tray. I'll add runners and kickers this week, then build the two end drawers before finishing off the top (beech veneer plywood banded with 1-1/4" solid beech beveled at about 40), hopefully by the weekend.

ForumRunner_20150928_075831.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 09-28-2015 at 11:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    I am still fighting the seemingly unending sinus infection , so things went more slowly than normal. Dogs got walked, laundry was done, and I worked for the paying job for a few hours. We measured all the first floor windows for our replacement project and I got them in Sketchup for pricing. These were sent on to garner some additional information.

LOML and I went to a concert in Whittier (about 2 hours away) last night so a slower start this morning.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Added some t-track to my workbench...
    2015-09-20 10.56.50.jpg

Sprained my foot.

Not much of an accomplishment.....................Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Sprained my foot.

Not much of an accomplishment.....................Rod.
    lol - I don't know about that. It depends on the shade of purple you were able to attain.

Just last week, I fractured (not confirmed by X-Ray) one of my toes by walking into my home office/cave, which was dark at the time, and kicking a 5-lb dumbbell.

After delaying real work with a breakfast visit to Waffle House and then purchasing a Bosch Random Orbital Sander for my wife's use - "her sander" as it's now known - I attached the breadboard ends to the table top of a design the better half found on Pinterest.

As my shop is just getting set up, every project seems to require a new jig, a new tool, new wood, or a combination thereof and transforms the "simple and easy" project into several additional hours of thinking and development, including stealing ideas from the interwebs, and boy are there some clever people out there!

I ultimately completed the table top and attached the breadboard ends using a mortise and tenon joint - not the pocket hole screws shown in Pinterest. The temporary jig I rigged for cutting the tenon reaffirmed to me the need for investing time into some standard jigs. A little bit of a Catch-22 situation, but a fun challenge to have.

Next up - a good crosscut sled, the tenon jig will have to wait a little bit.

Dave

It was a gorgeous weekend here in the Pacific Northwest. Went to watch the Huskies narrowly lose to Cal on Saturday, and I was very happy to get several hours out in the shop on Sunday.

Since my Craftsman router ate itself last weekend, last week I had ordered some brass template bushings for my old P-C 100M router that lives under my table saw's extension wing and they arrived on Saturday. With the bushings in hand, I dug out my great uncle's very old Rockwell 5008 Router Templet (sic) jig and got it dialed in perfectly. Other than the fixed finger widths making for a half-tail at the end of the material, I've got no complaints about the jig at all.
    I was all set to crank out some drawers for my captain bed project when I discovered the plywood I was planning on using for the sides is not the best material - it was old leftover plywood from the previous owner of my house, who knows how old but it only has 4 thick plys and was very dry and brittle. The plys just wouldn't hold together during routing, so at some point this week I'm going to need to go get some different wood for that project.

Instead of working on the drawers, I cleaned up the shop a bit - putting away some junk and tools that had been collecting on the workbench, and also making a little screwdriver holder out of scrap pine.

I also discovered that my Long Ranger III remote is not working for some reason, but it might just be a weak battery. Need to troubleshoot that one further.
    Last edited by Garth Almgren; 09-28-2015 at 8:03 PM.
    ~Garth

Got up Saturday morning, and caught flight from Buffalo to RDU, which took up most of the day. Went and got some seafood Sat night. Went to church Sunday AM. Cut out 250 TFT car bodies Sunday afternoon, and night. Started getting things ready for Campers on a Mission ministry at NC State Fair. Decided to go to Dixie Classic Fair this year. (Every year we say this is going to be the year for that.)

I actually spend a bit of time in the shop this weekend finishing up a third project for my younger daughter's room...an additional side table to go next to her easy chair. Documented in this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-quot-projects

Final result...

In addition, there was the normal lawn mowing and odd jobs around the house, making some changes to my in-home network to better take advantage of my upgraded FiOS 150/150 Internet service and clearing out a bunch of old debris where the first lumber drying stacks were located years ago to make a better place to park my two trailers (horse and utility) for the winter. I also had my younger daughter out driving for a bit (she got her permit about a month ago) and took a bunch of photos at the barn...something I enjoy doing. One of my favorites...

Nikon D750 - 70-200 f/4 - ISO 500, 185mm, f.4.0 1/1000
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Shot a timelapse of the blood moon eclipse...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...took a bunch of photos at the barn...something I enjoy doing. One of my favorites...

Nikon D750 - 70-200 f/4 - ISO 500, 185mm, f.4.0 1/1000
    Heels down!

(LOML is trying to sell her paint mare, but isn't having much luck finding the right fit for a new owner.)

Indy_2015.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 09-29-2015 at 8:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    Heels down!

LOL...she was taking her foot out of her stirrups just as I snapped this. Alesya's heels are normally "more down than required"...an early habit she developed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...