Thread: New Lathe in Shop

New Lathe in Shop

Thanks to Bob Bergstrom for the heads up on the craigslist posting I picked up a Powermatic 4224. It's a substantial upgrade from my delta 46-460. It's a 2003 lathe so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the current model has but I've been very impressed so far with the little bit I have done. I did have to disassemble to get it into my basement but it wasn't too hard with two people. I'm looking forward to getting a coring system and a hollowing rig to expand my abilities.

Congrats Jeremy! Notice how the vortex forms just beside the lathe. . . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Congrats on your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I would say for the money you are the owner of one sweet lathe. Some of my hard core woodturning buddies would prefer the stationary headstock over the newer one. I see you are against the wall so a sliding headstock would see minimal use. Also having the motor under the headstock takes up less space. I doubt if you will have to change pulley speed with 3hp. The ways must have taken some effort to get down to the basement? I have a hydraulic table under my lathe to move it out from the wall. Harbor Freight has one to lift 1,000 pounds. Now keep you eye out for a big chainsaw! Enjoy.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Nice score Jeremy. Welcome to the Mustard gang. BTW, there's another "A" machine for sale in the classified section.

Congratulations. Glad to see the shavings. You might want to consider some shower curtains to "drop" the huge shavings that that machine will produce.

Very nice lathe that will handle just about anything. Strange---yours is still yellow???

The yellow it the mix of led and fluorescent lighting and a crappy iphone pic. I have a ground level window so I didn't have to carry anything down stairs. Just put in a plank and slide the bed on another plank using a 1" dowel as a roller, worked pretty slick. Thanks for the harbor freight lift, I'll have to look into that. I did have to raise it up a little bit to make it high enough and I'm still fine tuning the height before I make permanent feet.