Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Don't Need No Stinkin End Vise

I'll be building my "last" workbench this year I was pretty set on the Scandinavian style (Klausz) with shoulder vice and traditional end vise......BUT

rather than get hung up on tradition, now I'm leaning toward a Roubo style with wagon vise and knee vise.

But "don't need no stinking vice" on a ww'ing bench?

I've tried planing boards 2"X50" with nothing but a stop block -> I'd rather have it secured firmly.

To each his own.

I get what you're saying but I wouldn't recommend a newB ww'er thinking he doesn't need a vice on his workbench.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Bob,

Busted....I guess I need to put one of my old slide rules on the bench for Neander photo ops. At my age I need something, "Let's see half of 10mm is? Oh heck where is the calculator".
    Come on, Ken, Dividers..........dividers and a sector. Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Siemsen View Post
    Here is a link to a you tube video I made showing workholding without any vise. It covers a lot of options that are useful whether or not you have a vise.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhn-PAfEW4

Mike, this video just blew my mind!

I especially like your point about how not having the stock locked tight, you get feedback as you work.

I was just going to rebuild my tail vise, but I've got some thinking / decisions to make now.

Also, where are plans to make those cool little recessed stops?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I'll be building my "last" workbench this year I was pretty set on the Scandinavian style (Klausz) with shoulder vice and traditional end vise......BUT

rather than get hung up on tradition, now I'm leaning toward a Roubo style with wagon vise and knee vise.

But "don't need no stinking vice" on a ww'ing bench?

I've tried planing boards 2"X50" with nothing but a stop block -> I'd rather have it secured firmly.

To each his own.

I get what you're saying but I wouldn't recommend a newB ww'er thinking he doesn't need a vice on his workbench.
    Robert,

Did you use a doe's foot on the when planing the 50mm X1250mm boards?

I hear you, every one works differently....The main thing is to work.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    Come on, Ken, Dividers..........dividers and a sector. Bob
    Bob,

Not just busted but double busted

Matthew,
    Most students get along fine with this type of bench. It is easy to add a face vise either a leg vise or a regular woodworking vise. Plan ahead if you use the metal bench vise so you don't have cross bearers in the way when you attach the vise. I find a tail vise isn't needed. I am working on an article for Pop wood on an inexpensive leg vise. that is probably a few months out yet.

The stop is just a piece of 1/4 x 3/4 x 1 steel cut at an angle and screwed to the top of a dowel with a stout long screw. I have since come up with an improved version using an elevator bolt. it eliminates the screw and is stronger, it just takes a bit of grinding.

Mike, thanks for your video. It really changed my perspective as I'm in the early phases of designing a workbench.