Thread: Uk supplier needed for activated charcoal

Uk supplier needed for activated charcoal

My filter on my Purex Superflow extraction filter has just given up the ghost. Got a quote for a replacement and at about £350 is a touch expensive. As it is just a metal box with 3mm dia cylindrical charcoal it shouldnt be too hard to find. Anyone else in the UK do this themselves and has found a cheap supplier of the charcoal?

cheers

Mike

I did some research not long ago on activated charcoal. The only real difference between 'activated' and plain old charcoal (like briquettes for bbq-ing), is activated charcoal has holes, to expose more charcoal surface area.

I don't use the stuff, but if I did, I'd likely just buy briquettes and drive over them with the truck to bust 'em up...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Hi Kev
    I did read an article today which said that if you heat it to 200 degrees C you can reactivate it again. I anm just off to the workshop with the biggest pan in the house and will stick it on top of the woodburning stove. Luckily the fire exit is right next to the stove so if it gets a bit smelly/smokey I can just open the door. I did weigh the charcoal today and its about 6kg in weight. Wonder if it will weigh less when it has been heated for 30 min? This is a pure experimental piece of work and if it doesnt work, I will go out and buy some.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    The only real difference between 'activated' and plain old charcoal (like briquettes for bbq-ing), is activated charcoal has holes, to expose more charcoal surface area.
    How much surface area is added with the holes? My understanding is that the difference is huge - but I don't have any data to back that up.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408