Thread: 1sr 120 lbs. ash blank

1sr 120 lbs. ash blank

This is the first of 4 half rounds I have to rough out. The trimmed blank was 23" across and 8 1/2" deep. I used my Makita electric chainsaw to trim and saw the bevel on the blank. Once mounted it turned easily. I cored 2 smaller bowls(14" and 10") and still had a 3" wall in the largest bowl. The jumbo MacKaughton blade was maxed out at 15". The largest bowl weighs now 20 lbs. The five bowls shown came from 1 half round. I have three more half rounds to go.

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Member Illiana Woodturners

That is quite a chunk. Did you use #3 or #4 jaws to hold large section for coring, and what size faceplate round up section? I do not core, but am impressed. I have some 23 to 24" wide x4" thick Ash that I am thinking about making a 31" (32" max outboard on Powermatic 3520B) wall hanging soon. The wood was cut on bandsaw mill about 3 months back and end sealed, but will still be fairly wet when turned. I have 6" faceplate, and #4 jaws for Oneway Stronghold chuck to use and am working up to the chore.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    That is quite a chunk. Did you use #3 or #4 jaws to hold large section for coring, and what size faceplate round up section? I do not core, but am impressed. I have some 23 to 24" wide x4" thick Ash that I am thinking about making a 31" (32" max outboard on Powermatic 3520B) wall hanging soon. The wood was cut on bandsaw mill about 3 months back and end sealed, but will still be fairly wet when turned. I have 6" faceplate, and #4 jaws for Oneway Stronghold chuck to use and am working up to the chore.
    Tom I used a 4" face plate with 8 - 1 1/2" screws. Because I beveled the edge of the blank there was no banging or hit and miss turning. The coring was done on #4 jaws with a Oneway Stronghold chuck.

Did you use your hydraulic lift for that blank! I can't believe the uniqueness of the bowls even though they came from the same blank - beautiful!

Thanks for sharing,

Mike

[QUOTE=Mike Goetzke;2472929]Did you use your hydraulic lift for that blank! I can't believe the uniqueness of the bowls even though they came from the same blank - beautiful!

Mike I used to just lift them onto the lathe but I've gotten smarter in my old age. I strapped the blank to my hand truck and eased it down the basement stairs sitting on each stair to hold it from rolling down with me following. When I got it into the shop I laid the truck down and slid the blank onto the table. Pump it up as high as it would go and slide it onto the ways. I then slipped a wedge of scap wood under it and nudged the blank up the incline to get to spindle height. I turned the hand wheel to feed it on the headstock. The MacNaughton coring does offer a lot of freedom. I could have cored two smaller one and another large one. I need a blade for 18" cores?
    Thanks for sharing,

I see you still like a little Mustard on your new lathe Bob! Coring with the McNaughton is a pretty fun diversion from the normal everyday stuff (for me at least) except for that last little bit, "do I stop the lathe and try to knock it out by hand," or just "let her fly and don't worry about it." I'm thinking of attaching a fishing net to catch the cored blanks or some type of wrestling mat on the floor to absorb the impact.

enjoy, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    I see you still like a little Mustard on your new lathe Bob! Coring with the McNaughton is a pretty fun diversion from the normal everyday stuff (for me at least) except for that last little bit, "do I stop the lathe and try to knock it out by hand," or just "let her fly and don't worry about it." I'm thinking of attaching a fishing net to catch the cored blanks or some type of wrestling mat on the floor to absorb the impact.
    I can't predict where the bowl will trave so I've learn to dance or jump when I see it coming my way. I traded my new Robust tool rest for my old Powermatic. I didn't think I got the support at that length. I love my 9" Robust, but the big Powermatic is like a rock. I file the top once in a while, but the cast seems quite hard. I have found it much harder than many others.

Here's blank rotating at 50

http://youtu.be/JAerzWIIh98

Here's some more ash. I used my MacNaughton lance to part it into 2 - 21 x 3" blanks. The lance couldn't reach the center so I locked the spindle and slipped my Makita chainsaw in the grove and sawed the rest. They both show some fiddle and will look awesome when displayed vertically.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images