Quote Originally Posted by Max Neu View Post
On a side note,I only work locally,so I am not dealing with drastic environmental changes.
That's me. I keep or give away most of my woodworking items and most of them remain here local. Occassionally I'll sell a piece. My shop has an air conditioner ( a must-have for Texas summers) but the humidity, while usually pretty low, is not controlled. I do watch the humidity via Hygrometer but mostly that's for the finishing part. I just try to start with 7% MC lumber for indoor items and allow for wood movement whichg is always prudent.

Several months ago I was building a patio glider for my daughter who lives in Freeport...Texas gulf coast, high humidity, etc. I was making the glider from ERC that had only air dried about a month but ERC is pretty stable and considering the ultimate destination, I thought it would be ok. The back of the glider was 1 x 6 boards and I glued and screwed them to the 2x legs...oops. I was taking a break, almost done with the woodworking one evening when there was a crack as loud as a .22 rifle shot. One of the 1x6 boards had cracked from shrinkage due to the drier environment inside my shop. I left it cracked and called it "character." LOL

The next one I build, I'll use frame and panel construction, regardless of the wood MC or the destination.