Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working with melamine

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I've done the same re scoring cut. I was concerned about 'stepped' cuts but as long as I was careful to keep the pieces tight against the fence no issues. I was using a regular ATB blade, a veneer/ melamine blade may not require a scoring cut.
    You can even use a dull blade if you climb cut the scoring cut.

Yes, there's many good blades now that cut chip free on a single pass. Sometimes I still use the old scoring method if I just have a little bit of cutting to do.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Not necessarily what you have in mind or local to you Jason, so just to float a possible option.

I usually find there's something ready made in the Ikea kitchen, bedroom, bookcase, CD rack or whatever ranges in nominally 18mm melamine coated particle board that gets the job done. Or is at least a cost effective and hugely labour saving basis to work from. It's usually possible to figure dimensions, fittings etc well enough to decide what you need from the drop down 'futher information' and linked assembly instructions.

It tends not to be too hard to cut down to the required size, or to add local reinforcing where needed when storing heavier stuff. The most awkward job can be figuring out how to cut holes etc for re-use of the original joining systems when this is visually necessary. Screws often do the job when it's not visual - pre drilled so that they don't cause spliting. The good news is that extras of these parts can usually be bought from the service desk in their stores. Sawn edges can be recovered with iron on melamine tape.

There's lots of very nicely spray painted doors in decent quality MDF all sorts of colours and sizes too - they can be very handy when you want a piece of ready finished material.

Just watch out that some of the fancier furniture items with thicker panels are some sort of honeycomb rather than particle board, and not very re-work friendly. Lots of kitchen 'makers' here buy Ikea cabinets, and maybe build fancier hardwood doors themselves. Or buy hardwood doors from other suppliers set up to spit them out.

My experience with sawing up melamine (the Ikea version anyway - some of the box store stuff is very poor) is that provided the blade is pretty sharp and a good one, the saw tight and well aligned - and you set the blade height to just cut through that it's no problem to avoid chip out - even with a universal on….
    Last edited by ian maybury; 09-30-2015 at 1:10 PM.

closet.jpg I'm in the same boat as OP, and have the same project. Wife found this picture in a magazine and wants it for her closet, she said consider it an early mothers day gift. I plan to do shelves out of Melamine and just match the drawer color to the melamine. Not even sure if it's possible to match the color like that yet.

I am in the middle of this right now also. I am doing a pantry with 9 boxes, then a large walk in hall closet, then two large walk in bedroom closets.

For simple shelving boxes, I dado all permanent shelves in 1/4", and use gold screws, pre-drilling and countersinking as I go. Almost all the sides of the units will not show when installed, but when one does, I use the fastcap white stickers. Not doing fine woodworking here, they are all utility units. I also use the Melamine glue on all joints. As far as installing, if there are real cabinet type uppers, I use nail strips and screws, just like kitchen cabinets. If they sit on the floor they get simple metal L brackets screwed to the plate, with the same L brackets on the top, screwed to a stud. This makes it easy to rearrange when the wife decides she wants it different. As far as looks, you have to get on a ladder or your hands and knees to see them.

I finished off all the edges with natural oak in the pantry, but will use white tape in the closets. My hardwood dealer has some pre-made shelving that may save you some time. It seems better quality than the big box stores, and comes in 11 1/4" @ $15.50, 15" @ $17.50, and 23 1/4" @ $21.95....all 8' with a factory taped edge. This is more expensive, but might save you a lot of trouble and time playing with sheets and edging.

I have a blade from CMT that is made for melamine and works well on both sides.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Before I got a slider with a scoring blade I struggled with getting a clean bottom side when cutting Melamine. I gave up on that and instead cut the show edges 1/8" oversize and then cleaned them up with a compression bit in a router table with a jointer fence setup. The scoring saw does an acceptable job but it's still not quite as good as the compression bit was.

A lot of people get good results with butt joints and screws but that skill just eludes me. I run out of hands and fumble with clamps and blocks and it's just easier and faster for me to cut dadoes and hidden rabbets and assemble with glue. There's no need to fight with screws stripping out or splitting the particle board and it's all self locating with boxes going together like a puzzle.

To attach the cabinets to the wall I just use screws through the 3/4" backs into studs. I have been looking at some of the hardware mounting options for backless cabinets because I too have a wife requesting a closet organizer. I'm not sure yet what I will do there.

I really like the FastCap peel and stick edge banding. It goes on fast and their trimming tools are excellent. I've tried contact adhesive but it's way too messy for me and I can't seem to maintain the process control (time/temperature/pressure) with home shop tools to get consistent results with hot melt. I have some cabinets that I built in early 2010 with the FastCap stuff that show absolutely no signs of adhesive failure so I'm gaining more confidence in it's longevity.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Thanks so much for all the tips, guy. Much appreciated!!

All input and advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!!
    I went to HD to pick up a sheet of Melamine to make a closet thingie for my wife.
    I picked up a sheet by the corner (3/4") and concluded that anything that heavy was more trouble than it's worth.
    I walked over to the 3/4" Birch plywood and slid a sheet of that onto the cart & stopped on the way home at Sherwin Williams and picked up a quart of 100% acrylic paint....

You did say all input was welcome right?

I did make a sacrificial table for my drill press out of Melamine shelving once. I cut it down with my Festool track saw back when it was brand new and had a brand new blade, The cuts were perfect w/no tear out and/or chipping.
    I used some of the scraps from that last year to make a fixture for my CMS stand and experienced some chipping using the track saw & that same blade.
    A new sharp blade seems to be the best way to avoid chipping the edges.

& yes - the edges are razor sharp.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Melamine as before is pretty much trouble free on a decent saw with the right (sharp) blade on - no need for any cleaning up or other pecularities. There's people making bedroom furniture and the like that saw nothing else all day every day - so it's a well known requirement. It's advisable to gear up properly for a project though. Chances are it quickly finds the limits of budget blades, misligned saws and the approximate sharpening that's pretty common here..

I've had no problems with it using even a universal blade with no scorer or zero clearance insert fitted. There's a scorer on the (Hammer) saw, but so far it's never been necessary to run it - it'd probably come into its own on poor quality material and/or a long job where the blade could end up a bit dull.

I bought the 48T/12in 058057 version of the Leitz WZ multipurpose/universal blade for everyday work - and it's been 100% on melamine projects. Clean cutting both sides and long lived. A year's light use later it still handles cheap 18mm ply cross grain top veneers with almost no tear out (maybe the odd fine fibre here and there in what's pretty 'hairy' stuff, but perfectly acceptable) and effectively none when fresh. Here: https://shopuk.leitz.org/product.php...5&chash=0130f5

There's finer toothed versions available too which probably would be even better on melamine. Also 10in dia.

Leitz blades and sharpening are regarded as very good, the service is reportedly excellent in the US too. They seemingly run very good quality grinding machines - a Felder Silent Power they sharpened for me in the UK was slightly but definitely better than new. Amana Tool (and i'm sure others) also do purpose made melamine blades in the US, there's a test of one here which looks good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzrl3R1KEpk

Melamine is very do-able. The key seems to be a true running and well aligned saw and high ATB/pointed tip blade as above that self scores/slices out at the edges of the kerf before taking a heavier cut towards the centre...
    Last edited by ian maybury; 10-02-2015 at 1:22 PM.