Thread: White Pine for turning?

White Pine for turning?

I just had a large (36" diameter) white pine cut down in front of the house. I had the arborists leave a few sections of the logs to possibly make something out of. After handling even the small logs 20" diameter, I came away with lots of sap on my hands. I am wondering if it's even worth the effort to try to make a few bowls. Any Ideas?

Just before coming down.
    0928151659[1].jpg
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

2. Not something I personally would want to put on my lathe. I have heard of some doing it, but made an icky, sticky mess.

If I wanted to do something with that wood, I would have it cut into boards and air dry them.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Not something I personally would want to put on my lathe. I have heard of some doing it, but made an icky, sticky mess.

If I wanted to do something with that wood, I would have it cut into boards and air dry them.
    Maybe the next tree can go to my friend's sawmill for boards and planks. But this one's too late; the logs are gone, except for the 2 small sections, and 2 large sections. I'll probably paint the ends to slow the drying while I figure out what to do. The smalls may be good practice material after I get my mobile base built (move the lathe out into the driveway so sap and such go elsewhere), and I'd cover as much of the lathe as possible. I've seen a couple examples of nice pine bowls, and what the heck, I do need practice. If I have any notes or success, I'll be sure to post photos, since this is my new favorite website. I estimate about 1000 b.f. in the tree 40' long x 28" diameter. That's a lot of lumber; maybe he'd trade me for lumber for cutting fee?

I have turned some "yard pine" and did find it to be a sticky mess. The wood from a beetle killed tree that was dead had less sap mess and some interesting grain pattern. Not my choice of wood, but sometimes you turn what you find. Keep some mineral spirits handy to clean up the pitch mess.

There's a section near the top of that tree that I would like to get, it's the section where the limbs are are spaced evenly all around the tree. Sure there will be some sap/pitch to contend with, but, the bowls from those blanks would be gorgeous.
    Len

+1 on what Len said. First pine bowl I turned had to clean my face shield every 5 min. but Oh the colors ,if you get to it wet enough, will amaze you. also expect some cracking in the knots but that makes every bowl unique. friends call me Rusty

I love pine! I say turn it and see what happens. One of our favorite "daily use" bowls is pine...it's surprisingly light and rigid, and sands smooth like butter. Most folks see it as garbage wood, but it turns so easily, dries fast, and finishes quickly, takes dyes and other "tricks" easily and the grain is really contrasting. Sure, you'll get soaked turning it...so what. Elbow grease is a great cleaning agent. At a minimum, you'll get some more reps practicing technique...but maybe you'll end up with some favorite pieces too. I say chuck it up and give it a spin! (tears out gobs of wood when it's starts spalting though so my experience is turn it fresh. Sharp tools as always, and light cuts and shear scrapes when approaching the finished thickness or you'll chase tear out all the way through to the inside of the bowl!)

Yeah, I'll paint the ends for the short-term and try to make a bowl or two out of the small ones. I do expect to get messy, but Goo-Gone or any citric degreaser seems to get the pitch off safely. With a new Rikon grinder, and new lathe - I am ready for making stuff, and free wood is free wood. I also have about 20 linear feet of the Japanese Maple branches about 8" diameter to play with too. Sure wish I had the funds to get into coring right now. The big ones are big!!