Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which shop towel for a variety of finishes?

Which shop towel for a variety of finishes?

I am about half way through an order for 180 communion sets. I have used up all of my old t-shirts and a bag of Home Depot towels. Half were lint-free. Half were fuzzy. What do you use for applying wipe-on finishes: WTF, Shellac, WOP, Water-based poly, and waxes?

I just don't want to buy another container of fuzzy towels.

Blue shop towels? Lint free rag source? (Tried Goodwill and Salvation Army, and they don't sell their t-shirts cheap).

Thanks. Small question but it will save me a lot of fuzz hassles.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have used the blue scott "shop" paper towels with poly and waterlox and had good results

I use whichever paper towels we have stocked for use in the kitchen. I've not noticed any difference between brands (from a finish applying perspective). I've grown attached to my fingers, so I don't use cloth rags for applying finish on the lathe.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

The blue shop paper towels work best for me.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

My shop towels are the white select size Bounty. The towels hold up well applying Danish oil type finishes, friction polishes, and is pretty much lint free. Viva is another standard "paper towel" often suggested, but the Bounty hold up better for me. I have a couple of rolls of blue towels that have been around for about 5 years and have not seen the reason to open other that use them up.

Blue Costco paper shop towels. Use that for everything. I used to use gun cleaning patches, but the blue towels are way cheaper. If you have a lot of gun cleaning patches that works well too. The only trouble with them is they small, excellent for pens, bottle stoppers and small boxes. They polish well too. Not the blue paper towels.

Brian, I use the blue Shop towels also, they seem to do a better job for me. I tried the regular paper towels, and they wear through easier then the blue shop towels do. And as for cloth materials around my lathe, that doesn't happen, it's just to dangerous.
    Len

I picked up a 'Box of Rags' from the big box awhile ago, and found them so useful I've gone through several more boxes since. They call them disposable rags, but they're really just heavy-duty paper towels. They're what I use for applying most finishes on the lathe, and I've been happy with them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scott-200...5260/202767257

Tear up an old cotton bed sheet. It should have been washed enough times to be completely delinted and will give you a lot of surface area for small applicator rags.

For WOP I use cheese cloth. I buy it in a big roll at the hardware store and just cut of a strip anytime I need it. No lint or fuzzy things ... works great.

+1 for Blue Shop Towels. Box of Rags works as well.

I've been warned about using cloth - I have saved old t-shirts and socks. So, now I mainly use the cheapest paper towels on the shelf. Be careful, though, if you use CA glue as a finish: some paper towels will catch fire with CA.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Whichever you use it's always a good idea to remember to dispose of the towels properly. Oily rags can spontaneously combust and burn a shop down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Yes, I am looking for a foot-operated metal can for oily rags and paper towels.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Yes, I am looking for a foot-operated metal can for oily rags and paper towels.
    If you find one let me know! If you use cloth make sure that you fold into a pad and DO NOT let it wrap around a finger. I asked the same question a couple of years ago and got blank stares at the club meeting and several months ago during a demo the demonstrator made a point of recommending Viva towels. I have had problems with some towels coming apart when applying wipe on finishes which required sanding the finish back to bare wood.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).