Thread: Getting started in turning

Getting started in turning

I want to get started in woodturning, and I have a lot to learn. I figure one way to acquire some knowledge is to subscribe to a few turning magazines. Can anyone offer suggestions on good magazines I should consider?

I have been into woodworking (mostly furniture making) for quite awhile, but right now I have no experience with turning, and don't own any turning-specific tools. Thanks in advance for all input.

My advice is to skip the magazines and get some good DVDs. A local turning club would be the absolute best expenditure of effort and money, and they should have a DVD library.

There are some good videos online - and, a bunch of garbage. Search YouTube for Robo Hippy - fellow creeker and nice guy that has done some great videos. Bob Hamilton is another. There are more that others may mention.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 09-29-2015 at 7:52 PM.

there is a turner by the name of David Ellsworth in your state, nice guy, he teaches // weekends and weekly.......well worth your time

4. Join the AAW. You'll get the journal, plus other avenues to information, while supporting a premiere organization.

Presque Isle Woodturners--Bill Blasic--814-796-4609. He's president of your local AAW chapter. Attend a meeting or two and see what it's all about. I'm sure you'll learn a lot and be on your way to figuring out what this turning vortex is all about.

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't know we had a local turning club here, so that is great info!

Clay by all means give me a call and we'll get you started.

Blog Entries
    Depending upon where you are, exactly, my guess is you're not far at all from Bill Grumbine in Kutztown. Very reasonable rates and an all around funny/sharp guy. You can do individual instruction or join a couple of others in a small class, but tweaking the class to your own needs is a great benefit he offers.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Clay,
    Another one leans into the Vortex to take a look....But don't slip or your hooked for life.. All kidding aside, if you have been a woodworker for many years, including furniture making, you have a skill set already and you will love the artistic element that comes out when using tools to create objects and forms. This and other forums can be an invaluable source for learning as well as videos and books.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.