Thread: Drawer Case Build (Part 3)

Drawer Case Build (Part 3)

It's been a month since I posted an update on the project. I've been busy with travel, work and family but I've been making progress a couple hours at a time.

Making the drawers is not particularly interesting. I milled and sized about 30 drawers sides, 15 drawer fronts and 15 backs.
    drawer case part 3-1.jpg
    I did a test layout for the drawer bottom groove. I'm using through dovetails front and back with a groove that goes right through the tail. This is not an issue because the back is open and the front will get an applied face which will cover the groove.
    drawer case part 3-2.jpg

I lined the tail boards up by twos. This made layout and cutting faster.
    drawer case part 3-3.jpg
    12 identical sets right off the saw. As I began the assembly, I pared the shoulders but they didn't need much work. I was able to get fairly close with the saw.
    drawer case part 3-4.jpg
    Next I sized each drawer face to fit it's specific location. Next time, I'll make the drawer face a little taller. By the time I was done cleaning up, some ended up a bit smaller than I wanted. Close enough for the shop, but I was trying for better.
    drawer case part 3-5.jpg
    As always, as soon as I finish, I have 10 ideas about how to do it better.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

The drawers have been test fit, now I'm ready to plow the drawer bottom groove

drawer case part 3-6.jpg
    I use a wheel gauge to mark the top edge so I'm sure I get a clean edge.
    drawer case part 3-7.jpg
    The I plow a 3/16 x 3/16 groove. I repeat this 36 times.
    drawer case part 3-8.jpg
    The bottoms are simple pine and I fit them to the drawers, make a slot and add a screw and washer. These are small enough that a nail would have been fine but I went with screws anyway. It's the most humid part of the year here, so I left the bottoms as long as possible. I did not glue them into the front. I think they're fine loose. I can always change my mind later.
    drawer case part 3-2-2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Very nice Dan. Those cases are sometimes difficult to do with so many parts alike. To get everything sized just right is important because minor discrepancies will show.
    Jim

I had some scrap cherry left over from another project, so I resawed it to about 3/16" and came up with enough for all the drawer fronts.

I used the "blue clamps" to get the fronts held in place, added some glue and then real clamps.
    drawer case part 3-1-3.jpg

Once the glue dried, it took some time to clean up all 4 edges and smooth the drawer fronts. Here's where it sits currently.
    drawer case part 3-1-2.jpg

I glued up a panel for the back. I plan to hang it on the wall using a french cleat but I'm also going to add some feet so it can sit on a counter as well. I looked at various knobs and pulls. The small brass pulls were OK, but too expensive to sit in the shop. I'm going to make my own pulls. I still mulling the design.

I'll have a few hours to work on it this weekend. I'm traveling all next week, so I may not get much done until mid October.
    -- Dan Rode

Nice work!

Blog Entries
    Looks like a neat little cabinet.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Excellent work Daniel.

Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Nice work Daniel! The shop is looking sweet! Hopefully you will spoil us with some on-the-wall shots.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Well done Daniel! Fitting all those flush fit drawers is no easy task and yours look great.

With quality work like this, it's only a matter of time until you're getting requests for stuff you won't be able to keep in the shop any more.

Looks great and thanks for taking the time to share! Interested to see the pulls that you settle on.

best
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Looking good - clean and sharp. I like the drawer fronts.

Are you still planning to add legs and hang on the wall? One seems superfluous.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'm going to hang it on the wall, at least initially. The feet will be really basic so I thought I'd add them in case I want it to sit on a shelf at some later time. It's not any harder to add them later but the pine will darken over time so now feet wouldn't match.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Looking good - clean and sharp. I like the drawer fronts.

Are you still planning to add legs and hang on the wall? One seems superfluous.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    -- Dan Rode