Thread: Laser Engraving Gravoply ultra Issues

Laser Engraving Gravoply ultra Issues

Hi Guys

I've been having a few issues laser engraving gravoply ultra, especially when engraving white plate with a red or black core.

faded logo.jpg

The black or red enraved area looks faded almost as if the dust has become ingrained in it.

When i try cleaning the dust off by wiping with metho or cleaner it still maintains its faded look.

I'm pretty sure I have my settings correct 50 power - 100 speed on trotec speedy 100 and I am engraving from bottom to top and I have external extraction.

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks

Pat

Hi Pat,

I haven't used that material but i had a similar issue with Trolase today, the image on the left you can see the wording is not very black and has a grey tinge to it, the second is exactly the same settings but I adjusted the z-offset by 2mm (further away) making the laser out of focus, this helped me get a really nice clean black colour

I would recommend getting a small piece and just engrave some letters trying different settings to see which results work well.

20150930_140943.jpg20150930_140141.jpg
    Half Kiwi, Half Pom, All Crazy
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W (1.5" + 2.5" Lens)
    Harsh Environment Kit, Rotary Attachment

Atmos Compact Exhaust, CorelDraw X7

I would use more power. It looks like you're just removing the top layer and you'd be better off going a little deeper.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Try two passes. Some materials take 2 passes. Either that or bump up the power to 70 or so. Make sure the nose cone is off and the air is off when engraving it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

To get the dark black, red, blue, I use a 2nd pass at 20% less power and .020 out of focus.. Puts more of a glaze as it melts the core.

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Thanks Guys

I'll give all that a go.

I also read somewhere to spray the engraved area with WD40

I'll try that aswell.

Pat

I engrave craploads of Rowmark, and some Gravoply- they're different but basically they 'act' the same-

Without a doubt, WHITE is the hardest color to get a laser beam thru. Whereas my LS900 settings are 60 power 100 speed to get thru black, blue, red and green, I run 80 power and 80 speed to get thru white.

Another thing that helps, although it takes longer (but can avoid a second pass which takes WAY longer) is to increase the lines per inch. I typically run 500 LPI for most everything, but for white I go 600.

BECAUSE the white is hard to get thru, I've also found it's also the most forgiving. Don't be afraid to crank up the power...

As for WD40, I'd suggest Brillianizer or Novus clean 'n shine, or kitchen wax, or sometimes I use stainless polish..
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 09-30-2015 at 11:45 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Problem solved guys..

defocus the laser by 2mm .. bobs your uncle.. engraves perfect black and red..

thanks for help everyone

Pat

Glad it got sorted mate, I had to do the exact same on my Trolase Metalic Plus, comes out great each time now. Also try 1mm offset as well
    Half Kiwi, Half Pom, All Crazy
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W (1.5" + 2.5" Lens)
    Harsh Environment Kit, Rotary Attachment

Atmos Compact Exhaust, CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Philips View Post
    Thanks Guys

I'll give all that a go.

I also read somewhere to spray the engraved area with WD40

I'll try that aswell.

Pat
    Try a coat of Armor All.