37 62.71%
  • OSB

15 25.42%
  • Other

7 11.86%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plywood or OSB?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I'm not a fan of OSB. I've seen it fail in too many applications. It degrades quickly if exposed to moisture. Screw holding ability is questionable.
    I don't agree at all. Osb is essentially impregnated wood chips. The great thing about it is it's moisture resistance. That is why they make outdoor sheathing out of it. Try painting one side of plywood and see how long it lasts outdoors. I had some untainted osb on some steel trailer ramps that sat outside for 20 years and when I replaced it it was only because it was breaking on the unsupported areas where my tractor drives over it. I also have it in my shop and have never had a screw come loose or not hold in a certain spot.

Other. I used unfinished tongue & groove pine car siding in my shop mainly because it looks great. My second choice would be A- or B- grade plywood. I'm not a fan of OSB or MDF. I like slat wall, but I wouldn't use it in a woodworking shop because it would be a dust collector. That, and it would give the spiders yet another place to hide.

I think I'd want something that looks good when painted a light color. For hanging things, french cleats? maybe the metal version?

"plywood" is an awfully wide term. What are our choices here? Sheeting grade or nice stuff?
    And I'm with Mark - I don't see any inconsistency or weak spots in OSB, unless we're talking about 1/4" maybe. I wouldn't trade my 3/8" osb walls for 3/8 ply sheeting with knots, splinters and voids - that's for sure.

Given those two choices. I vote for plywood.
    OSB gets a bad rep because just like plywood there are many build quality variables and spec's across the spectrum.
    Use an interior rated floor or wall sheathing, and you won't have any problems.
    Drywall with French cleats works really well too.

I voted "OSB" because that's exactly what I used and am happy with it. Heavy objects still get screwed into the studs like Julian described a few posts back. It isn't pretty and painted, but the warm wood color makes it feel like an inviting shop instead of a cold garage. I have no moisture concerns or I'd be up on the roof fixing it.

The problem with plywood is that it comes in many grades and that greatly affects the appearance and cost. Around here OSB runs $8.65 a sheet while rough sheathing plywood with worts and all will cost you $17 which doubles your paneling cost and IMO would look worse. A bit better looking but still looking out of place is T1-11 at about $28 a sheet. But for that price you may as well put in hardwood faced poplar core plywood for about $35 a sheet. But heck, why not do one better and put in T&G at $40 for a 4'x8' area? Ideally I'd like to have T&G boards for walls, but since I don't care to spend my money that way I went with OSB because the choices in between OSB and T&G compromises in appearance without much of a cost reduction.

The OSB seems to vary in quality as much as the plywood. Never bought any OSB but occasionaly I notice some at BORGS that is quite smooth and shiny,like mabe a new employee used a little extra glue.

8. T111 sheathing is my favorite- strong, holds paint well easy to work. DP
    Dale Probst
    www.wardprobst.com

I used plywood and don't regret it at all. I filled in the voids, sanded well and painted them and you can't tell they are plywood anymore. Now I can put a screw anywhere I want and don't have to worry about hitting a stud.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I'm not a fan of OSB. I've seen it fail in too many applications. It degrades quickly if exposed to moisture. Screw holding ability is questionable.
    I agree with Lee. I used 1/2" plywood in my shop and would do it again.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Nice addition Julian, off topic but are those LED's or Fluorescent lights?
    -Frank

I have used "Smart Panel", OSB with primed surface and exterior glue in my last 2 shops. The first shop had a strip over the joints, and in current shop the joints are just butted and caulked if major gap, and heavy coat of latex enamel paint.

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    My 28 x 36 shop is done with 3/4" cabinet grade plywood veneer. The PO got a skid+ worth of it that had some water staining from a construction site he was working on, and did the whole shop interior with it, incl the floor in the second level. It is great to be able to screw anything into, anywhere I want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Frazier View Post
    Nice addition Julian, off topic but are those LED's or Fluorescent lights?
    -Frank
    Frank, the fixtures are T8s 3500K bulbs. (8) four bulb/foot fixtures. I'm just now moving equipment into the addition but pleased with amount of light so far. Painting the walls gloss white helps also.