Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chip cards, I thought they were more secure?

Apparently someone didn't get the memo about it being safer. We just had one of our business accounts compromised. $750 worth of pay as you go cell phone charges on a Chip card that is used only for buying materials from about 8-10 different suppliers.

Good thing it's more secure.

On a side note, we called the police to ask if it should be reported and they came out and told us that once you call the credit card company about it, then you are no longer in a position to file any charges because you have had no damages done to you. They said the credit card company would have to file charges, and there was nothing we could do. I'm not sure why they couldn't tell us that on the phone, but anyway, it's done.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Mark has it. "Safer", in this instance, means the card cannot be easily cloned and used elsewhere while you still have the original in your possession. You are more likely to notice a missing card (pickpocket) than you are waiting to see fraudulent transactions at the end of the billing period. Therefore, it also requires the card to be used semi-locally rather than having its number transmitted around the world and used almost immediately.

Still, the "one-time use" algorithm isn't infallible
    But that doesn't stop online transactions where you don't have to have the card, only the number. Now presumably, you'd have to eventually have the PIN as well, but most fraudulent transactions are online, not physical.

The reports are that the majority (80%+) of the active cards have the chip. In some cases, the problem lies with the clearing house (processing company). A middleman. Especially for the smaller merchants. If you check out of a store and have to swipe through a chip-enabled reader, then chances are very likely the clearing house does not have the software installed, enabled, or other reason to process the chip based transaction. If the reader is not chip enabled, then the merchant has likely not upgraded on their part or is waiting for their clearing house to upgrade (could be a chick-and-egg thing).

Whats really weird I think is that when they call you to ask about fraudulent charges on the card the circles you have to go thru to prove your you. Hey they called me at a number I provided to them but they call and then want to know.
    My name
    My address
    my birthdate
    last 4 of my SS
    my dogs name
    my mothers maiden name
    my card number
    exp date
    and 3 number CVs

But like you all said its easy to steal the card and rack up charges wtf.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

All of my cards have chips, but a lot of stores don't have chip readers that work yet. I did three retail transactions yesterday and this evening and only one retailer had a chip card reader. Chip cards only protect against hackers that break into computers and steal card numbers.

Traditional methods of fraud like skimmers, restaurant employees stealing numbers, and people stealing cards are not stopped by chip cards. Some of these methods will be stopped by having PIN numbers hopefully at some point in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Whats really weird I think is that when they call you to ask about fraudulent charges on the card the circles you have to go thru to prove your you. Hey they called me at a number I provided to them but they call and then want to know.
    My name
    My address
    my birthdate
    last 4 of my SS
    my dogs name
    my mothers maiden name
    my card number
    exp date
    and 3 number CVs

If someone calls me, I do not give out any of that information. I tell them I'll call them on the number listed on the card and then I will provide the information, if I need to.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    But that doesn't stop online transactions where you don't have to have the card, only the number. Now presumably, you'd have to eventually have the PIN as well, but most fraudulent transactions are online, not physical.
    We need the PIN ASAP in US. Online, a total different animal. However, US card issuers and busnisses need to get inline with the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 01-18-2016 at 10:47 PM.

Can someone tell me what info is exactly on the chip?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    Some of the references in the middle of the wiki will point you to the possible information that can be stored.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

You just told a scammer everything they needed to know ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    My name
    My address
    my birthdate
    last 4 of my SS
    my dogs name
    my mothers maiden name
    my card number
    exp date
    and 3 number CVs

Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

Wouldn't it be something if the chip gathered information about your every move, then linked up with the National Center for Supercomputing Applications and dumped it's load every time it was used?
    LOL!

Seriously though -- the technology is there to do that
    64 bit processing/programs opened that Pandora's Box.
    For the time being it's just too expensive.

Sooner or later though, the scope of what's gathered about a person is going to change - - probably in the name of "safety".
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Yes I should have mentioned I call them back from the number on the card, I don't even answer the phone when someone calls unless its family or someone I know. But they call me all the time when I travel to verify charges even after I call them to tell them I'm traveling. weird .

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    We need the PIN ASAP in US. Online, a total different animal. However, US card issuers and busnisses need to get inline with the rest of the world.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

The chip cards generate a one-time number for each transaction which is why they are more secure for point-of-purchase transactions. And the retailers that can't support them now carry the entire risk for a fraudulent card transaction that's swiped...that went into effect 1 October 2015. I agree with the comment that we need to move quickly to chip and pin from the current chip and sign method that was chosen by the US banking system because they thought their card holders couldn't manage to remember a PIN. With chip and pin, point-of-sale fraud will be thwarted big-time because of the two factor authentication..."something you have" (the chip enabled card) and "something you know" (your PIN). Online is still a bit more difficult, but requiring the three or four digit extra code helps a little since that's not always on the "dumps" information that gets sold out there on the Internet by the skimmers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    we need to move quickly to chip and pin from the current chip and sign method that was chosen by the US banking system because they thought their card holders couldn't manage to remember a PIN. With chip and pin, point-of-sale fraud will be thwarted big-time because of the two factor authentication..."something you have" (the chip enabled card) and "something you know" (your PIN). Online is still a bit more difficult, but requiring the three or four digit extra code helps a little since that's not always on the "dumps" information that gets sold out there on the Internet by the skimmers.

I wouldn't be so sure on that one, Jim. There have already been multiple hacks that show the PIN portion can be effectively bypassed.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure on that one, Jim. There have already been multiple hacks that show the PIN portion can be effectively bypassed.
    I would agree with that statement. We use the chip cards and they have never asked for a PIN, not once, except for debit cards. If it's a credit card, it just uses the chip and never asks for any PIN. In fact, I don't even know of any PIN's for our credit cards with chips. Not sure how it's supposed to be more secure when it doesn't ask for 50% of the thing that's supposed to make it more secure.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.