Thread: Jet 1642 rests?

Jet 1642 rests?

What are others with a Jet 1642 Lathes using for shorter tool rests?

I use Robust rests. Excellent!

Robust for all sizes. I don't care for anyone's stock cast iron rest.

Also check out Advanced Lathe Tools, tool rest if your looking for a heavy duty rest with a hardened rod top.

Another vote for the Robust!

Another Robust user. I have a 6" and a 12" comfort rest and the 9" J rest. the factory rest has never been used as the Robust Rests were my first accessory for the lathe and they came in before the lathe did!
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have Robust and Oneway, I almost always use the Oneway rests, sometimes I use the OE Powermatic rest. The Robust rests that I have seem to be to wide sometimes.
    Fred

John, the first tool rests I picked up for my Jet were from Woodcraft. I liked the hardened rod on the 4" but didn't use the rest that often. The S rest I still use today but only for hollowing. I place the large area in front of the turning to use with my hollowing system and use the small area as an arm rest! Works great! The tool rest post interchanges between the rests. The one I linked to has the correct diameter but I am not 100% sure the length is what I have.
    Woodcraft 4", Woodcraft S, Tool rest post

A few years ago I upgraded lathes and have been using Robust rests since then - with the exception of the 'S' rest. Nothing better than Robust as far as I am concerned.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I am pretty sure that Robust was the first to use the hardened drill rod on the tool rests. I can never go back to cast, kind of like variable speed. The Oneway are stainless, at least their bowl rests. At present there is no S curved inside bowl rest with hardened drill rod.

robo hippy

I like cast iron rests and I would be glad to get a few of your cast iron rests you folks no longer use, I'd pay a reasonable amount :>)

I use a couple of Jeff Nichols rests for a shorter rest. I use the stock rest for turning spindles all the time though...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Actually I seem to remember Steve Sinner, (Advanced Lathe Tools) made a hardened rod top tool rest before Robust. Steve use to sell them in Robust booth at symposiums before Robust stated making them. Not that it makes a big difference on who was the first to make them They are both quality tools.

Do you guys that use the robust rests all use the full sized ones or anyone use the low profile versions?

I only have the 13" that came with my lathe right now and need a 6" to start I think.

14. I have always used Advanced Lathe Tools, tool rest and highly recommend them. I just purchased my first Robust low profile though and really like it and recommend it.

Jeff