Thread: How Do I Do This?

How Do I Do This?

I would like to paint this pattern (or something similar) on the transom of a small racing boat. In the past I've done this sort of thing by creating full sized masks, applying (light glue) them to a base-painted surface (white in this case) and spraying the mask. This might be problematic because of the intersecting cutouts. Are there better ways to accomplish?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 10-01-2015 at 9:35 AM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

You might look into vinyl car wrapping. This a technique in which a pattern is printed on to vinyl, and the whole sheet is adhered to the car. They do solid colors. They do patterns. They do signs and graphics. They wrap entire buses. On cars, it seems quite durable -- years and years of service.

Do you have to be sober when you do that?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Jamie, I looked at a few online sources for the "wrap" ... but the old-fashioned me really wants to paint the thing. I think I can make a full scale template for a transfer, and then cut out the "knockout" pieces and attach them to that template. If I can transfer them to the boat transom and get them to stick (but not too well) I'm in business. I'll let you know how it works.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius