Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SETTING UP TABLE SAW: TS Aligner Jr, home made tools or other?

SETTING UP TABLE SAW: TS Aligner Jr, home made tools or other?

I was thinking of buying a TS Aligner JR http://www.ts-aligner.com/tsalignerjr.htm to help set up my table saw. It seems like it works pretty well(brand new PM2000) but being the anal, picky-pants guy that I am, I'd love to know it's set up with amazing accuracy. I found this guy who uses a dial indicator and homemade jigs too. http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Alignment.php

I was wondering how you all go about these settings/measurements. Also, what is the official order of operations for setting up a table saw? i.e. 1) adjust table square to blade 2) adjust blade square to fence, etc...

Thanks!

Build something similar to the garage woodworks gauges. You can buy an inexpensive dial indicator and mag base for just a fraction of the cost of the ts-aligner. It would be capable of measuring accuracy far tighter than you really need for wood. That said, I too love well made gadgets and the ts-aligner looks interesting.

The order of operations in setting up a table saw would depend on the type of saw. IE-full cabinet saw, hybrid, contractors, etc.

Check metal working websites and they will usually have advice on how to use a dial indicator in many applications. I have a metal lathe and milling machine in addition to the woodworking stuff, and I do use a dial indicator on the wood machines where it would make adjustments go more quickly.

Will do! I'll grab a Dial Indicator from Harbor Freight the next time I'm around there. Thanks!

Get your hands on one of the table saw books from Taunton and learn all you need to know on setting up a table saw. You can purchase some pricey tools to do the job, but simple is better.

Woodsmith / ShopNotes featured a simple alignment tool using DI. I have made a bunch of them, and given as Christmas gifts to fellow wood workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Woodsmith / ShopNotes featured a simple alignment tool using DI. I have made a bunch of them, and given as Christmas gifts to fellow wood workers.
    Have any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Get your hands on one of the table saw books from Taunton and learn all you need to know on setting up a table saw. You can purchase some pricey tools to do the job, but simple is better.

This? http://www.amazon.com/Tauntons-Compl.../dp/1600850111

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    Have any pictures?
    I do ;-)

Shop made has done fine for me through three different saws.

22124 Alingment 005.jpg . 22124 Alingment 004.jpg . 22124 Alingment 010.jpg . 22124 Alingment 012.jpg

I made it with adequate reach to use from either miter slot.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-01-2015 at 10:33 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

9. Glenn, that is a fine/simple looking tool. What are you checking with the blade set at 45º in the photos?

That tool looks great! I'll definitely be making one of those. So you use that to first align the table/miter slot to the blade, then you could also use it to align the fence to the miter slots right?

I tried to buy a TS Aligner Jnr about ~12 months ago.

Offered to pay in advance. Sent My CCard details & address etc

Never got a reply!

Never got charged

Never got the tool either.

Guy is really anal about you following him up and pestering him etc... with subsequent emails & essentially says if you do, you go to the bottom of the list or never get one ever!

Best read THIS page if you intend trying to buy one.

http://www.ts-aligner.com/reseller.asp

I personally make each and every TS-Aligner myself. They don't come in a big container load from China and they aren't available in stores or catalogs. I do all the machining, assembly, calibration, packing and shipping. I answer the phone and the email. My current production capacity is limited by my time and financial resources. I work alone and I have a day job. So, purchasing a TS-Aligner product isn't like walking into a store or calling some mail-order catalog - it's a process.
    I make these products because I believe in them and want to promote more intelligent woodworking methods. I am not in this business to get rich and it certainly doesn't do anything good for my health! Most of the people who purchase my products are equally serious about their woodworking and are looking for ways to improve the quality and efficiency of their work.
    The waiting list for TS-Aligner products is very long. Please don't ask me how long - answering such questions is a waste of time and makes the wait longer for everyone. I have provided a description of the process below. Each step involves elements that can cause indefinite delays beyond my ability to predict or control. People who have more resources (facilities, labor, funding, inventory, etc.) can easily produce delivery estimates. I can not so please don't ask me to. Call me to find out where I am in the process. Call me with questions about woodworking or machinery. Call me about the weather. Call me to make sure that I didn't die or flee to Canada (living the good life on TS-Aligner money in Saskatchewan!). But, don't call me asking for an estimate on delivery. If you pester me about it, I'm likely to get annoyed with you and give the most definite answer I can: "never".
    If you want the best woodworking alignment tools and are willing to wait for them then your order is more than welcome. I will do everything I can to minimize the wait but I will not sacrifice quality and accuracy. People who think that they are special and deserve to receive their order ahead of everyone else should not call. People who think that their demands and threats will make me want to give them priority over others who placed their orders earlier should think again.

I just figured out, that after a year or so - it ain't likely coming anytime soon.

I use a wixey magnetic digital angle gauge on my tilting arbor blade to set the degrees I want!

http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/

It is what it is - I can't ring the guy about the TS Aligner Jnr coz I'm half a world away and what with time differences I'd probably wake him in the middle of the night and just make him even angrier.

If someone doesn't want to take your money, you can't force them to!.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Thigpen View Post
    Glenn, that is a fine/simple looking tool. What are you checking with the blade set at 45º in the photos?
    If you mean the tool, it is the same tool. If you mean "why check at 45*" that is another discussion. No tablesaw alignment is complete without blade to miter slot/fence at 90* and at other angles. Generally if you're good at 90* and good at 45*, you're good. I say this because if you are good at 90* and good at 45* but off at 38*, there is a problem with the tilt mechanism of the saw that lies outside of normal adjustments. Did that get you your answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    That tool looks great! I'll definitely be making one of those. So you use that to first align the table/miter slot to the blade, then you could also use it to align the fence to the miter slots right?
    Correct. Any stable hardwood will do. I used scrap from . . . I think it was white ash . . . well, it doesn't really matter; you just want something very hard and very stable. I could have sworn the original magazine I saw it in was Wood but, I am not able to find the article. I have never found a need for anything more involved than this little guy.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-02-2015 at 1:08 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

13. That was my question, Glenn. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Moone View Post
    I tried to buy a TS Aligner Jnr about ~12 months ago.

Offered to pay in advance. Sent My CCard details & address etc

Never got a reply!

Never got charged

Never got the tool either.

Guy is really anal about you following him up and pestering him etc... with subsequent emails & essentially says if you do, you go to the bottom of the list or never get one ever!

Best read THIS page if you intend trying to buy one.

http://www.ts-aligner.com/reseller.asp

[/FONT][/B]I just figured out, that after a year or so - it ain't likely coming anytime soon.

I use a wixey magnetic digital angle gauge on my tilting arbor blade to set the degrees I want!

http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/

It is what it is - I can't ring the guy about the TS Aligner Jnr coz I'm half a world away and what with time differences I'd probably wake him in the middle of the night and just make him even angrier.

If someone doesn't want to take your money, you can't force them to!.
    Wow - that guy sounds like a JERK! I wouldn't do business with someone like that out of sheer principle. Even if I *needed* what they were selling, I'd find a way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I say this because if you are good at 90* and good at 45* but off at 38*, there is a problem with the tilt mechanism of the saw that lies outside of normal adjustments.
    Absolutely brilliant. This is exactly the type of stuff you only learn from a salty dog.(no offense, that's a term we used in the Marine Corps which describes a wise Marine -usually a Gunny- whom always had advice you wouldn't hear from Marines in your rank. Honestly, I would have just checked it at 90 and been done with it. I would have just considered the quality of my table saw and assumed everything was perfect.

On the topic of salty dogs, I'd just like to take a second to point out that Sawmill Creek is completely full of these type of folks - it's the reason I came here in the first place. I would Google search for something, and almost every time, Sawmill Creek Forums would be in the search results. Lots of seriously smart people on here and I love that.
    Last edited by Mike Dowell; 10-03-2015 at 8:20 PM.