Thread: Made a Panel Rip Saw

Made a Panel Rip Saw

I have been looking for a panel sized Rip saw to fit in my tool chest. No luck and dont want to spend $225 to get the LN, although they are quite nice. I had a plate that came from a D8 thumbhole rip that someone had painted a lovely farm scene on, the tote was in bad shape but the plate was good and straight so I made it work. I have always been a fan of the straight back with nib of the old saws so I straightened the back, filed a nib and cut it to length. The plate has a 21" toothline overall size is 25.25". The handle is patterned after a Disston No.7 panel saw that I have and like but I took some creative freedom on the lambs tongue and made it curl down a little more. The wood is Osage Orange. It is a 5 point saw which is a little aggressive for a panel saw but it does cut nice and straight if it is started straight (second cut was parralel to the edge, first started angled).
    Rip panel.jpg

That is very well done Cody! Excellent work on the handle!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Yeah... If I could make saw handles like that, I wouldn't bother with a Lie Nielsen either! Fantastic job!

Awesome, great job, like Will said, if I could make such handles I would be hunting more for fleabay stuff and less for LN/Wenzloff.

How is the feel, weight of the Osage Orange?

Pedro

Thanks guys.
    Pedro, it is a great wood to work with and I use it for a lot of tool handles. I think it has a SG of about .84.

Blog Entries
    Nicely done!

A saw to be proud of. I predict your saw till will grow.

Very nice work and it tickles my funny bone--When I see those painted handsaws for sale on eBay I am sorely tempted to post a question: "Do you think paint remover would take that mess off the blade?"

But so far, I have restrained myself.

Nice job, Cody. I do prefer the straight back saws with nib myself. I personally think the skew backs were just another way to save on steel/ cost. I also like the greater curl on the lambs tongue as well. Best wishes.

Lowell,
    The saw till already floweth over, but with good saws being so inexpensive what is a fella to do?

Jim,
    Thats funny!

Ron,
    Thanks, I am feeling that the extra curl is a week spot if it happens to contact the stock while sawing but then I could just make another one I guess. I have read "not to out think the dead" there is probably a good reason the lambs tongue on the old saws are closer to the cheek.

Very nice Cody. Excellent work on the new handle.

regards Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Cody,

Do you file new teeth when making the saw?

If so, what saw set do you use?

Lowell,
    I didnt file knew teeth on this saw, just sharpened up the existing. I do have a Foley retoother that I got at a sale for $1 that doesnt have any carriers or ratchet bars, I am thinking of making an adjustable stop and table system so I can cut various pitches of teeth on blank plates. I use a Stanley 42 and the Eclipse knock off plier type saw sets. I did watch Mark Harrell last weekend at WIA and he made a good argument for hammer setting teeth, might give that a try.