Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Midi Lathe

New Midi Lathe

Hey All,
    Looks like I'm back in the Turning game. My new Rikon 70-220VSR came today. Ran it in all speeds and reverse and it seems to be smooth as a baby's Bu**. As most of you know, last year I decide to move to the Lake of the Ozarks and didn't take any of my shop with me including all turnng tools and my beloved 3520B. The turning tools and lathe went as a package to a turner here, and all the other woodworking tools found good homes thru craigslist. After 8 months here I started missing turning a lot, so I decided to buy the midi for small HF's, bowls, vases, pens, etc. Starting to gather all the necessary tools needed now. Here is a picture of the new lathe:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Congrat's Glad to see you getting back to turning. I hope you enjoy your new lathe. I have no complaints on my older Rikon midi.

Congratulations. I see in the background you've added a worksharp and other tools. Is that a pen press on the far side of your tailstock? Have fun with the new setup.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

David,
    I did keep some tools especially for Pen Turning. Also I love the way my Worksharp 3000 sharpens Chisels and parting tools too.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Ken - happy to see you getting back into turning! Looking forward to seeing what you create with your new lathe!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Good to hear from you, Steve. It seems like a forever since I've hung out here.....
    Regards, Ken

That lathe will do a lot. Looking forward to seeing some finished products and a report on the lathe. I have the Nova Comet II that is similar, but yours looks to be a better choice today. I find it fun to turn on and use it often instead of my Powermatic 3520B.

Thomas,
    After a couple days I have turned two Pens. Neither noteworthy, but I am impressed with the lathe overall. It is very smooth and quiet even at near 4000 prm's. I do wish it were true variable speed and not three speed variable, but belt re positioning is a quick 10-15 second function. I do believe if I were to put a 10-12" Bowl blank on it I would need to bolt it down, but at 115 lbs. that's not unusual. Otherwise it seems to be well made with very close tolerances and I have heard tech services at Rikon are great. The 5 year warranty doesn't hurt either.
    Regards, Ken

Seems once on the vortex you can never get out. From the photo's it looks like a well built lathe you will enjoy. From the background in the photo on the right it looks like we share another hobby that's nice to enjoy when turning is done for the day.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Glass View Post
    Thomas,
    After a couple days I have turned two Pens. Neither noteworthy, but I am impressed with the lathe overall. It is very smooth and quiet even at near 4000 prm's. I do wish it were true variable speed and not three speed variable, but belt re positioning is a quick 10-15 second function. I do believe if I were to put a 10-12" Bowl blank on it I would need to bolt it down, but at 115 lbs. that's not unusual. Otherwise it seems to be well made with very close tolerances and I have heard tech services at Rikon are great. The 5 year warranty doesn't hurt either.
    I had to check out the specs on your lathe and it is the electronic variable speed motor with 3 belt ranges, same at the Nova CometII. My Powermatic 3520B is electronic variable speed motor with 2 belt ranges. The Rikon does appear to have a more friendly speed range per belt than the Nova. I would recommend fasting the lathe down either by a clamp arrangement or bolting. I bolted my Comet II to a board for travel and use on Workmate, and have it fastened to bench for shop use. Now to go past pens.

Rick,
    We have been making Wine since 1996 and I took a corner of the Wine Cellar to re-start turning. I usually make between 50-60 gallons a year. Just finished bottling a Diablo Rojo that is really nice.
    Regards, Ken

Thomas,
    I haven't decided how I want to anchor the Lathe yet, as I just put in the base cabinets and counter top and didn't want to bore holes in it, but if I see a HF or bowl blank that I can't live without, I may just have too.
    Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Glass View Post
    Thomas,
    I haven't decided how I want to anchor the Lathe yet, as I just put in the base cabinets and counter top and didn't want to bore holes in it, but if I see a HF or bowl blank that I can't live without, I may just have too.
    Ken looking at the countertop if you move the lathe to the right edge and out to the front you should be able to get 3 "C" clamps on it which may be enough for most things.

I started making wine in the 60's but it didn't turn out that well so I stopped until the late 70's when I started again. Slowed down the last few years due to a bad back and prices around here for grape juice or kits have gotten so it's not much cheaper to make it than buy it. Now I generally just make some fruit wines a couple times a year. I found a French and an Argentinian red that the wife and I both like and when I consider the cost and the trouble my back gives me it's cheaper to buy them. I make a nice peach or pear wine and a neighbour has grapes growing and for a few bottles I get all I want.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Ken...looks like a great little lathe....interested to see some of your turnings,,, also like the wine!!...I've been making my own since the early 70's.....I have a question about your avatar....are those "flowers" you've turned?.... if so I would really like to see some pics of them and any special techniques you use ...I would really like to give them a try....thanks

Congrats. That looks like a really nice lathe. I have a Jet 1221vs and it has 3 belts, too. I've been on this forum off and on since it started right after Badger Pond stopped. Great folks on here. I'm also on the IAP Forum which is dedicated to pen turning. Url: http://www.penturners.org/forum/#community-forums. Great folks on that one too. There are worse things to be addicted to than turning.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith